GFX-3 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-3

Purchased from: Sam Ash

The sound is really sweet. If I had enough money though, I'd go for the GFX-5, but I'm very content with this. I'm using it with a Fender Squier and a 350 W Fender amp that's from the '70s. The sound from the different amp modules can be compared to that of a Gibson-easily. It doesn't get noisy unless you turn up your guitar or your amp to about the 8th, 9th or 10th volume dial. Then it starts getting a deep buzz, but nothing sharp, it can probably be reduced or removed with a better amp cord. The effects are above decent and you can match any guitarists sound really. I think the wha wha could use a looott more tone though, its really not that strong. The phaser is probably its best effect as its got the perfect sound for playing Voodoo Child and other such phase songs. Excellent for any type of rock genre.

I play mainly hard rock/metal/shred (Scorpions, Judas Priest, EVH, Alice In Chains, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden the such) and I can imitate their tones almost perfectly. I've bene palying for three years tried out many other effects boards, but this is the one I chose because yuy really get a bargain for your money, its not that expensive and I would rate it superior to that of DigiTech. Not to mention look wise, DigiTechs are damned ugly. If it were stolen I'd get really pissed off and not bother buying another one though, just save up for a GFX 5. This things amazing, so if you're looking for something in the 150 price range, this is the pedal board for you. 'Nuff said.

I would definitely depend on this as its made of all metal and can endure the road life. I probably wouldn't use it on a gig without a backup but thats because I'm a backup freak and have to ahve back ups for all my backups. It's powered by 4 AA batteries which are included.

This product is fairly easy to use although for beginners, the parameter section might be a bit confusing or otherwise, pointless. It gets a really great sound no matter what style you want or what amp you use it from as I use it from a Mega 10 W amp for practice and a 350 W old '70s Fender Amp for jamming sessions. Editing patches is a no brainer and it can be done instantaneous. The manual is also really helpful as it runs through all the basic controls of everything and even gives you a guide on how to sound like other artists.