GFX-3 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-3

I am using a Encore guitar that is a Stratocaster copy and a Samick 10 watt amp. It sounds good on this for the size of the amp. I have also used it on a Peavey 112 Studio and some Laney Hardcore amp that my friend has and it also sounded good on these. It can be noisy at times when using distortion or metal distortion but it still sounds ok. I have noticed I get a fair bit of feed back since I have had the pedal which can get very noisy. The effects to me always sound great and if the dont I edit the patch to make it sound great! I can get it to sound like Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix, Metallica, Papa Roach pretty easily. Getting a Papa Roach distortion sound was the hardest to find but in the end I got it. All the effects are good. the distortion is good I use it a lot, the wah is good I think it is based on a cry baby, all the delays and echos work well, also the flange and phaser are good. The vibrato setting is pretty crappy though. I don't know if it is supposed to sound like vibrato but it just sounds like a weird pulse noise.

I play all different styles of music from heavy stuff like papa roach, to classic rock- AC/DC, acoustic stuff, and I can get all these sounds out of the pedal. It is awesome. I have been playing for 8 years on and off and this is my first pedal. I own an encore guitar, a Samick 10 watt amp (SM-10), the GFX-3 (obviously), a Boss power pack, a 4 way adaptor, two leads, a stand, a strap, a capo, and some picks. I don't own any other pedals though. I wish I asked if it would do any thing to my amp because since I've had the pedal it is not as powerful, but hey it's 20 years old or something (it is my dads). if it was stolen or lost I would be pissed! And I would chase down the sucker who stole it and get it back then kick their ass! So yes I would buy a new one. I love how it puts expression into what I'm playing. Putting an echo or a wah when I'm playing blues or something just makes it sound 100 times better. I hate nothing about it to be 100% honest! My favourite feature is probably the wah or the distortion. The wah makes Jimi Hendrix songs sound so much better and the distortion makes heavy stuff sound better. It sure beats my amps built in Overdrive! Go out and buy it, it rocks!

I can depend on it totally. Pretty much the whole thing is metal so it wont break, I bought a Boss power pack to go with it so I dont have to worry about batteries either. I have used it to play at school and it was ok I didnt need a back up unit. Would've liked my own amp though! If the settings on the amp are changed you get a completely different sound and someone used the amp before me (it was the schools amp) and changed all the settings so it didn't sound how I set it up. But hey it still sounded good.

It is very easy to get good sound out of the unit because it has dials which you just put on the sound you want and you get it. The fine tuning of the sound is also easy. You can change the gain, tone, presence, treble, middle, bass and anything else just by turning the value dial. Editing patches is easy because the unit has a store button, that you press once you have got the sound you want and then it is there stored and ready to use. The manual is a little bit confusing. I read it but found it was better to just play around with it to figure out how it works. It also has a function to return it back to factory settings which came in handy when I thought I stuffed it up! It is also good because it has 3 patch pedals so you can go from distortion to clean to acoustic just by pressing the buttons.

punkMETALskater
    i bought one of these today, and i love it, i was confused with it some when i got it,but i figured it out in like 10 min, i love the fx,the distortion,flanger,phaser ,wah,etc, they dont sound digital and they work well, the expression pedal is great...has many uses besides volume and wah...
    M4jorpiz
    i like it its just sometimes its hard to edit effects well compared to single pedals but thats sorta the same with all multi effect pedals