GFX-3 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-3

Purchased from: eBay

I run a starter pack Ibanez (I know, but I got it for free to learn on while I save to buy a nice Fender or Gibson) right to the GFX-3 and then into a Roland Jazz Chorus (got in a trade because my friend didn't like it but I do.) The pups on the guitar are crap, but I can get a respectable sound out of it still. The thing does suck some tone though, not too bad when in bypass mode though. No noise to begin with, but it does have a hum killer built in but I've had no need thus far. It has a 3 band EQ that makes the $75 guitar sound like maybe a $150 guitar. Each effect has gain or presence settings and can also be changed via the foot pedal so you can have as much or little effect as you want. Some effects are pointless to me like the whacky computer sound effects and ringing tone, but they all work how they're supposed to.

I play things along the lines of Sabbath, WASP, Deep Purple, Dio, and Def Leppard and can get nice Overdrive and distortion sounds which was mainly what I wanted from this pedal. The fuzz and metal effects are acceptable. All the modulations (flanger/phaser/chorus) sound average. If you want to use it live, you need to have your patches all pre-programmed or you're going to have to reach down a lot to adjust this thing. You can switch patches with your feet but not individual settings. I got it mainly to see what types of effects I liked before buying single pedals at the price of what I paid for this. It is a good way to introduce yourself to the wide range of effects without going broke, and if you don't ever intend to play in front of anyone besides family or friends, this thing is all you really need. More experienced players would probably prefer single pedals, but for the beginner to intermediate or someone on a budget, I don't think you could beat this pedal.

I've kicked the thing in the dark a few times and it'd break my toe before it'd get a scratch on it. I wouldn't recommend jumping on it but it is mostly metal and the plastic parts seem up to it. Don't know how good the electronics inside would enjoy being stomped on, the unit is rather inexpensive. I play sitting down most of the time, but I'd think you could gig with it if you wanted without a backup if you don't abuse it.

I got this about a month after I started learning to play. The manual helps out by explaining all the abbreviations on the 2 character display and explains to noobs what all the parameters mean for different effects. Two months later I still refer back to the instructions from time to time, but once you learn what each effect actually does to your tone, it gets rather easy to Pick up. Play with it for a week and you'll have most of it down. Making patches is relatively simple, and it stores a bunch of them. The tuner is great and simple to use.

nAILZ
    i've had mine for 2 years. works great. sounds great. if you put it into metal bring the value down and give it a tiny bit of reverb, turn up tthe bass and master on your amp (no matter what your useing) and it's amazing for metal! keep it heavy!