GFX-3 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-3

This is a very transparent bit of kit. I have never had to resort to the manual other than for curiosity sake. The only effect I have never used is the "sfx" setting which sounds a little cheesy and limited. Everything else I have used extensively. Yes I am sure a more expensive unit would be more refined and more precise, but for a day to day work horse I am very sad to lose it. I could not recommend it more to a beginner as it has a bit of everything and the ease of adjustment allows you to experiment a lot. For intermediates I would say it's a good solid, rugged and useful bit of kit for day to day use. Advanced players would probably find it a little lacking when it comes to effect building as by that point you tend to know exactly how you want something to sound and the more expensive units are more appropriate, but for having fun with its still great.

I love the sounds and the customisation you can get. You can jump right in there and knock out some coa-se effects with pretty pleasing results. I have gotten to know this thing very well over the years and the smaller tweaks and settings can refine a patch very well indeed. There has only been a handful of times I have failed to achieve the sound I was aiming for. I play various styles, from Metallica to Pink Floyd and at the drive-in to john butler. It compliments both the electric and electro acoustic nicely, although the electro acoustic need a little more time to mess with the settings. The setting are very logical though, its not hard to get to grips with. Having 3 effects to hand at any time is great and being able to bypass any of them is handy. Having the bypass as the tuner is handy too as you can quickly tweak up. I am sure that a bigger and newer unit would be more refined and have better fine tuning but I have not been left wanting with this.

I have had this for 11 years and only recently has it given up. It has been through hell and taken abuse like being dropped down the stairs and once from a second story window, to getting rained on it survived when I lived in the woods for a few years too. The thing that finally failed was the expression pedal, over the last 2 months it started to randomly go to zero regardless of what you do with it. I have had it since I was 16 and fairly careless with my gear, it got filthy and battered but it stuck to it valiantly. I use it mainly for home recording and it has been fantastic for that, I have not played live with it but up until a few months ago I would have done with no hesitation. The only reason I haven't given it a 10 is that its broken now.

Overall I love this bit of kit. I have had a friend take a look at it and it is terminally broken now, I will honestly miss it a lot. I have not been able to track a replacement down unfortunately, if I did I would buy it in a heartbeat. There are obviously better ones out there, which is what I am looking into now, but I wish I could have another one of these handy. I am aware that this is a very positive review but I really do love this thing. I started as a beginner with it and now it has given up 11 years later I know exactly what I want from a new unit.