GFX-4 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-4

Purchased from: AKM Music

I use an Ibanez RG-370DX, through the GFX-4, into my Laney TF300. It sounds awesome. I can get amazing high-end punk tones for lead and pick-scraping, amazing bass for more metal tones, and perfect clean/reverb tones for those slightly more ambient moments. The pedal can be noisy which can be useful for the style I play, but the ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction) eliminates any noise you want out. Pretty much every effect sounds great, and it's great for how much it cost.

I play everything, and the pedal suits everything especially with my Ibanez and Laney. I love it. I've been playing for nearly 4 years and this is the first effects board I've bought. Otherwise, I use the Ibanez SM7, or the Boss MT2. If this pedal was stolen, I actually try and get the Boss GT8 (amazing), but since the GT8 is so damn expensive, I'd probably go for another GFX4. I love the looks, the sound, everything, except I hate it's slightly flimsy feel. Comparing it to the GFX5 or the 505/606. I'd easily say this is the best Zoom pedal board out there except for the GFX8 which again, costs s--t loads. One thing I wish however, was the the distortion (which is very near perfect) had slightly more dist. Everything else is totally worth getting.

I can depend on this pedal, I've gigged 6 times since I got it in Decemeber with no problem, and without a backup. It feels a little flimsy, but it's taken abuse, which is cool. I have a feeling I will use a back-up in the future, tho.

The GFX-4's presets sound amazing when tried in the store, but when you take it home, you end up spending hours getting that perfect sound. It can be frustrating, but it's totally worth it. The knobs and options are many, and it can get quite difficult to get that perfect sound, but to get the basic sound you want, it couldn't be easier. The manual was a real help, though. Diagrams and info, and pretty much the way every manual should be.

wjdghaks
    i have this effect pedal set. I got it for free from someone i know, its pretty old but sounds good for me. CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME IDEAL SOUND EFFECTS AND DESCRIBE THE LEVEL ON THIS EFFECT PEDAL?
    Darkblast
    Dude, this pedal doesnt have a real hard distortion. I dont get it. I have to put my amps distortion on aswel to get a good sound. Mine is old so maybe its just a little ****ed...