GFX-5 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-5

Purchased from: Soundslive.co.uk

Currently I'm using the GFX-5 in combination with a Fender Strat but I have also experimented around with a Gibson Les Paul borrowed from a friend. Both guitars, when combined with my Line 6 Spider II amp and the effects pedal give great sounds. The effects pedal even allows you to change between 30 amp models as well as the the 75 preset effects, meaning if you don't have a fantastic guitar or amp, you can get a pretty awesome sound out of it. All of the preset and custom patches sound great with the exception of an effect called U-Fuzz which to be honest sounds awful, the others cannot be faulted and if you so wish you can re-create sounds from bands from al sides of music, from the Chili Peppers to Matchbox 20 to Dave Gilmour to The Killers. The flange and phase effects are probably my favourite two effects on the pedal purely because of the depth of which you can change them. The range of distortion models and gain you can change is ming boggling, giving you as much or as little as you could ever need.

I play pretty much all types of rock, but mostly I play music from bands such as Matchbox 20, the Chili Peppers and Green Day, which are pretty disimilar. This shows the variety of the pedal's effects and amp models. Becasue the GFX-5 has no determined style, it can be used by anyone for anything, making it even more useful. It my GFX-5 was lost or stolen I would certainly buy a new one, I can now not imagine playing without it, the only problem being the 149 price tag, which although is good value for this piece of kit, it is stil a lot of money to spend. Make sure you only bu one if you are serious about playing. Originally I was going to buy a 707II guitar effects pedal, but they had been discontinued so I instead bought this stomp box version. I am now very glad the 707II had been discontinued! The effects pedal does not really need anything added to it, but if I was to be really critical I suppose it would be useful if you could play some effects such as flange and tremolo simutaneously. luckily, with my SpiderII amp I can do this anyway, but it would stuill be useful if the GFX-5 could do it alone. I have now been playing for about 3 years and am currently in "Jamming Sessions" for a possible future band, the effects pedal has already come in useful for getting unique sounds for our own material and will undoubtedly come in more useful in the future.

Since the pedal is made from solid steel, it is 100% durable, it could probably survive a fall from an aircraft, however, this does make the GFX-5 quite heavy, which could be seen as a problem. I have never seen any problem with the pedal, the only problem I have had is that the adaptor connectors (no bought with the pedal) occasionaly come loose, but this has been fixed because I purchased a new adaptor, so it was nto a problem with the pedal itself. I'd never use anything without a backup, purely because any freak accident could happen, but this pedal comes close to changing my mind, even so I have not had it for a year yet, so problems could emerge in the future, this is the only reason it gets a four not a five rating.

The GFX-5 has 75 preset effects to start off with, so as soon as you get it out of the box you can get an excellent sound out of it. The effects are arranged in groups of three, the group controlled by the two left-hand pedals and the singular effect modes by the 1. 2. 3. pedals in the centre. The expression pedal is perfectly weighted and allows easy control for both volume and wah effects. Editing patches couldn't be more simple, by pressing the "edit" button you can change any of the modes needed for your desired effect, having up to 10 modes played simultaneously. You can then easily store the effect in any place you need without fear of delelting any other effect. The manual, to be honest is needlessle complicated, I never used it and have already worked out the pedal myself, being able to get any song a desire from it with ease.