GFX-5 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-5

I'm using a Korean made strat ripoff (not very high end), and a Vox Valvetronix amp. The unit can sometimes produce high levels of gain, but the Zoom Noise Reduction there is a god send and it works like a charm. I'm not sure if you can emulate other artists with this since I'm more into original music, but good tweaking should get you there. The ARRM effect is good, and I specifically enjoy the Wah. The pitch bender sounds very digital and artificial, but it's still there to get you some cool sounds. I don't like the EQ on this unit though, it doesn't seem to help much. For this, I bought myself a Boss 7 band EQ stompbox, which really helps.

I have been playing for around 2 years and I really dig this product. If it was stolen, I'd probably go in for individual stompboxes since nothing beats their sound, apart from castrating the bastard Who stole it. I love the wah, and the overal 'tweak-ability' of the unit, and the amp modelling is also handy. It's not a very good buy for the beginner who doesn't know much about effects, since a lot of tweaking is required, but if you can overcome that, you will love the GFX-5.

It's made of metal, I've dropped it through 10 feet and it's still solid and working great. You can depend on it for the hardest of gigs, and more over it just requires 4 batteries, as opposed to the others which use 6+.

I bought this pedal around 7 months back. I didn't find the factory made presets any good, and was rather put down by them, but the versatility of the effects and their tweaking abilities makes up for it. Careful tweaking can really get you a great sound. I play rock, metal, shred, and styles of Indian music. I've replaced almost all the factory presets with my own tweaked ones, and I'm more than happy with this.

gumbloid
    I use a Gibson Les Paul Special (faded) and a Roland Cube 60 amp with this effects board. It suits my purpose and I love the versatility
    Out of Exile
    Is the pitch-bender of the GFX-5 or Zoom Products in general better than the Digitech Whammy?