GFX-5 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-5

Purchased from: 8th Street Music

I'm using a $70 practice amp and a very cheap strat copy (Hammer Slammer. This pedal made my setup sound pretty decent, some of the effects are pretty useless but the distortion is very good. it's still pretty hard to copy some artists sounds, but you could get it pretty close. The noise reduction on this pedal is great, I can crank my amp and it just starts to make a little white noise. The clean channel and the reverb's could be a bit better, but overall this is a pretty good sounding unit.

I play anything from AC/DC to Metallica. I am a really big fan of high gain stuff. and this pedal does a good job giving me that high gain, when it doesnt't change my patch on me. I've been playing guitar somewhere between 1 1/2 to 2 years. If this pedal was stolen I really doubt I would buy the same one again, it would be a really nice pedal if it didn't change your sound on you. I love the all metal construction, and how easy it is to edit and save patches. My favorite feature is probably all the different distortion tones you can get out of this thing.

haha here is the catch, this pedal has a mind of it's own, I'll be playing something and then all of the sudden it will change the patches while I'm playing. It gets really annoying at times, but it's good for practice I guess. One thing is for sure though, I would NOT use this for a gig. When your patch changes randomly from the patch you are on, it's never a good thing. I would take your $250 and get a little nicer pedal. Sure, the general construction of this is all metal, but it doesnt't really matter since it still changes your patches by itself.

Well, first off I really like this pedal for the most part. It does what it says it does, sometimes the sound does sound a bit "digital" but you can hardly notice it. This thing turned my $70 practice amp into a amp I can actually crank and get a decent sound out of. I love the noise reduction feature this pedal has, it really make all that white noise go away. Creating patches is really easy as well, all you have to do is turn a few nobs to get the sound you want and click the "save patch" button.

Black Label93
    allanex65 wrote: I sold my GFX-5 and picked up a GNX3000. The sooner I realized that the GNX3000 is so lame compared to the GFX-5, I switched back. Now I'm happy. The only thing I regretted was that I dumped my old GFX-5 for a unit that is created by hype. Don;t be fooled. Get a Zoom instead of a GNX3000
    test before buying folks, that is your lesson for today.