GFX-5 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-5

At the time I had an '76 Aria custom (not pro II, I've yet to find my exact model), and a Squier Stagemaster 7 string, I used it through my Zoom 15-watt amp at the time. It worked pretty good for that. But what I found myself using this for more than anything else was when I went on road trips, I'd either plug in the headphones, or I had a set of computer speakers that I played it directly through, not the best sound quality of course, but it wasn't terrible. I also used this as a direct plugin on stage for my church for some time. Other than the hum, ut worked like a charm. The effects are a little on the weak side, you're not going to get the dynamics of a stomp, but it at least flavors and colors the sound a bit. I actually could get a few artist sounds that to me were convincing at the time, and named them after artist faves (Ty Tabor, John Petrucci, Satriani) now I'm sure they don't sound perfect, but they did the job well enough for a 1st year player.

I play a rather odd variety of metal/electronic/experimental music. This thing at the time, helped me at least decide between the amp models of what I wanted to play. I had been playing for a year when I got it, I've now been playing for 5. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't really care, I've sorta moved to stomps, they are much more tweakable. I'd probably Pick one up to dick around with it for like $50. It's pretty portable, and I've taken it all over the place and it never annoys the people next to you if you have headphones, and I never had it too loud because of computer speakers. Get one if you want something to mess with like on the road, or whatever.

Never broke on me, just the stomp buttons (being made of plastic) broke apart over time, and I just glued the parts together, and over time they'd break again. I even took the whole thing apart once and it still worked. I used at church without a backup, and it never held me back. I think the electronics may have spazzed once, but after like a minute, everything was on track.

I owned this a few years back and stumbled upon it at a shop today, which has inspired me to write this revie. When I first got this effects processor, I didn't really know how to use it. A week or 2 and I got used to it. Mine didn't come with the manual, so I just downloaded the pdf of it online, and would refer to it from time to time. Once you get the hang of this thing, it's pretty straight forward.