GFX-5 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-5

Purchased from: local dealer

I used it with an Ibanez GSA60 and a Fender stratocaster artist model s.r.v with a Fender 25g amp and a Marshall avt50 amp. The unit sounded great with the Ibanez and the small Fender amp. Also with the strat it sounded alright but with the Marshall amp you could really hear the bad quality of sound. It really took the signal of the guitar and changed it to something else regardless of the patches used. There for the sound quality is up to the player and his preferances.

The unit matches almost every style because of the range of distortions and other effects. I've been playing for 8 years in bands and a session player. The unit is good for session gigs but not for studio works. Also, sometimes the guitar role requires a more subtle use of effects or a cleaner sound with more changes and a lot of rhythm work and this unit will not deliver since there is a very short but noticable quite between patches. For serious work you will need some heavier gear. Overall, it will suite most of the needs by an active player.

This unit is extremely reliable and durable. I dropped it a few times and it was still working like nothing happened. The patches are easy to change between and it can be used for gigs without a backup. I like the hard casing of it as well. Feels solid and doesn't slip under your feet when you turn on or off effects and patches.

This unit is pretty easy to use stock. That is until you try to create your own sound. First thing you will notice is that the effect chain canot be rearranged other than programmed. There are loads of parameters you will need to adjust for the sound you want. the manual I had did not help almost at all. Overall it's easy to get agood sound and decent patches. Also the writings on the unit are easy to see and the eq and Drive knobs help a lot.

harrythehobo123
    I gotta say that I liked this pedal when I got it, but I've had it for several years now and the better I get, the more I notice the "digital" sound mannyfresh was talking about above...if you're just starting out, it's not bad because you get a wide variety of effects for a relatively low price, but don't expect professional-grade effects. this pedal, especially the distortion, just sounds too "thin" to me these days
    joshmassey
    mannyfresh wrote: I own this pedal. Sometimes it starts switching effects at random while im playing! It started doing this right after the 1 yr. warranty ended. Does anyone else have this problem?
    if its doing this while your using the pedal, than im having the same issue and ive found it to be that the button to switch what the pedal controls such as wah or distortion levels, ect. sticks to the frame and when you push down on the pedal or put pressure on that side of the pedal it will push the button to switch.