GFX-707 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-707

Purchased from: music store

Please bear in mind that I am not professional. I use a budget Fender "squire" guitar with a 15W "Squire" practice amp. However, I tend to play mostly when I am away from home in my caravan, using either batteries (which seem to last for months) or mains hook up. In these situations, I will use headphones (caravans aren't known for their soundproofing!). Either way the quality of sound, in my opinion, is great. There has never been any "noise", except on some "Fuzz" settings which I have never found particularly useful. Of all the main effects, I found that most were superb, but there seem to be a number that "seemed a good idea at the time" to the manufacturers, which I can't see ever being used by anyone! I tend to use the "heavier" sounds for playing punk/metal and within these parameteres there is a huge range of sounds, and the ability to tweak and save patches.

Whilst my music style is mostly "heavy & fast" I still want a decent sound, and both versions of the 707 seem to give me a lot of scope and really good sounds, especially when used with the inbuilt rhythm sections. The rhythm has many different styles, and whilst I use only a fraction of these, they cater for almost any taste. I haven't found the "intro" & "end" rhythm bits at all useful (as yet), but perhaps I've not explored this sufficiently to use them. There is almost nothing about either model that I can say is negative, but again, remember that I an not professional and may not be looking at what Marilyn Manson may expect!! The range of effects is superb and I love the smartcard facility to save effects with the 707II. The fact that I purchased the markII model whilst still owning the markI, shows the feeling that I have for the 707. If it was lost, I would certainly want a replacement - It does everything I wanted it to do and more.

Durability? - both the Zoom 707 & the 707II travel with me either in the back of my van or caravan in their cardboard boxes & have never let me down. I have never done a gig as most of the time I am playing for my own pleasure although I do record to a Tascam 424II 4 track analogue recorder. They seem built to last.

The Zoom 707 was my first effects pedal. I found the whole thing remarkably easy to use in it's basic form, either through an amp or headphones. The manual provides a quick start guide for basic functions, which was all I needed at first, and gave pretty clear instructions on editing which took a little experimentation, but came good fairly quickly. I still hadn't fully mastered some aspects, but then the Zoom 707II came out & I purchased this too (GBP 120). This gives a much wider array of effects and I found this simpler to use as well. I love the rhythm section, which I often use when composing, as opposed to my separate Drum Machine. All told, this is something that you can Pick up, plug in & make sounds immediately, but, with a little reading can improve on as you go. I still find a couple of aspects of patching tricky but these tend to be in areas that I don't feel I need at the moment, so I haven't really gone into the details as much as perhaps I ought.