GFX-707 review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Zoom: GFX-707

I'm running this with a Squier Fat Strat and a Marshall MG15DFX practice amp. Crappy, I know, but works for jamming at home. The noise can be cancelled out with the noise reduction, which is so-so. Some distortions are good, some suck, especially the metal ones. The chorus effects are good; the reverb is decent. The wah is tolerable with some patches, horrible with others. I usually play stuff like Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, etc. After months of experimenting, I finally found a great Slash tone. The names of the distortions are misleading; I used FUZZ for that patch. Also, the compressor tends to weaken the distortion. You can also choose 8 different types of amp models, out of which I feel STACK A is the best.

For classic rock, this processor will do if you're on a budget. I wouldn't recommend it for metal though. I'm 15 and I've been playing the guitar for 4 years; the processor is satisfactory, though I'm saving up for a new one. If it were stolen, I wouldn't bother, I would get the Digitech RP355. My favourite feature is the looper, without which the pedal wouldn't be worth nuts. The amp modelling is great though only 4 of the 8 are decent. I wish it had more control over the wah, for solos like Civil War.

Now, this part is where the 707 fails utterly and completely. The buttons seem to stop working at random times, and the jacks at the rear are pure agony. You have to keep kicking it to cut all the noise, or all you'll hear is a buzz. I would not - and do not - gig without a backup.

Zoom 707 is extremely easy to use, once you get used to it; getting a decent sound isn't very hard. The patch editing is very simple; choose a compressor/distortion type, set the noise reduction, EQ, choose an effect and reverb, then dial in the patch level. Short and sweet. The sampler is a sweet bonus. The manual is decent, but I never really use manuals, I find experimenting tends to give you a better feel.

fusseltier
    i bought my gfx-707 in april 2000 and it has worked perfectly and never had to have any repairs. i only use it at home, and it is not subject to much stress. personally i don't like the newer zoom products, i don't think they are made as nicely as the older ones. especially i like the pedal switches on the gfx-707 better than those push buttons on the new models.