GFX-707 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-707

Although it took me a while to get the hang of and work out how to do everything once you reluctantly have a read through the manual which can be downloaded online most of the things are straight forward. It does take some time to set up if you're not that experienced however (I spent a solid half hour looking at how to name your own patches and change the expression pedal use) and I still haven't got round to using all of the features such as the sampler. Not too hard to work out but could be easier!

Recently picked up a Zoom GFX-707 as part of a bundle and was going to try and flog it off cheap as I thought it was faulty but as I discovered it was merely me not using it correctly. Once you get to grips with the GFX-707 it becomes an awesome piece of kit, as soon as I found the Van Halen preset I was laughing, and the other presets are great too. The expression pedal is decent for an all in one processor and can nail some songs like "Electric Funeral" using it as a wah pedal or "Lonely Boy" by using it to shift the pitch. Overall the sound is great and I don't find that you get that digital feel like with some of the other pedals available.

The pedal came to me in a pretty beat up state with quite a few marks but it still works fine, after playing around with the settings I'd say it would be capable of doing live gigs. Another useful feature with gigging is the large screen allowing you to see what patch you're on, especially if your sight isn't that great! Considering it is now over 10 years old it's fairly impressive it's still in such good condition, hopefully in another ten years time the pedal will still be working as well as it does now, but we can only wait and see!

Although I think separate pedals are better in the long run the versatility of the GFX-707 can't be denied, and for the price you really can't grumble. If you're a beginner or looking to experiment with some effects I would recommend this over and over again. It's got most of the effects that you could require, the ability to create your own patches and a pretty decent expression pedal. For the age it's definitely a real competitor in my books! I usually used a DigiTech RP-55 but I think from now on I'll be mainly using the GFX-707.