GFX-8 review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Zoom: GFX-8

You use the pedal with my 100 watt Marshall and my Jackson, but basically it can make any set up sound remotely good. Some of the effects are just plane jane, for example the pitch shifting effect sounds like space invaders not a Whammy pedal. All in all though its pretty good. The chorus, reverb, delay effects are great, and you can even customize your own distortion which can be handy. One big problem with this pedal is it sounds really 80's, maybe it's just my playing style but whenever I listen to recordings of myself with this pedal I sound like early Metallica or Racer X or something... argh, its sucky when your trying to do covers by Third Eye Blind or something lol.

This is a decent pedal, but I wouldn't buy it again. It's so much better than the standard 707 fx series that Zoom produced, but it's also much less practical for playing live. You would have to become a tap dancer to make use of all the effects that are offered here. I would rather buy a few single fx pedals now, but then, it's the best value I could have ever gotten for the price I was willing to spend. if you wanna play lead, theres plenty of tone, if you wanna play clean thers plenty of options too. It's certainly something you don't get bored with easy, and it's a lot of fun playing around... well thats all hope someone finds this helpful.

Uh ok, this pedal is really durable hell, I even dropped it on concrete and I only got so much as a small dent, the adaptor however is another story. The adaptor is extremely flimsy and weak which is bad for playing live. It was inevitable that eventually it broke, and I spent about 6 months trying to get a new one... which makes this pedal very inadequate for playing live. I would only use it for recording...

I bought this multi fx approx about 4 years ago, it is an extremely versatile unit... You can get some really neat sounds out of this pedal, and it's really quite good value compared to the high priced DigiTech and Boss pedals that were selling for a much higher price back in the day with exactly the same features. The Zoom GFX-8 is complicated to use at first, I remember reading the manual for about 2 hours before I completely understood how to use all the features. the manual is in clear english although some things are explained rather awkwardly. But this is forgiven cuz they use diagrams for dummys :) editing the patches is simple, just press store, choose the bank and wham bam thank you mamm, your done! There are over 300 fx available with infinite combination effects etc,... some of the sounds are unnecessary and I doubt anyone except steve vai could find a use for them lol. The cool thing is the VAMS technology which is basically amp modelling software which is really neat. You dont need to use an amp to record any more, just run your guitar straight through the pedal into a recording system.