GFX-8 review by Zoom

Zoom: GFX-8

Purchased from: Mars Music

The sound is AMAZING. I don't care much for the preset distortions on there, BUT, they have 2 bands for a custom distortion, and the distortion I made for myself is so BALLS TO THE WALL METAL it hurts! It's got a great heavy punch to it, which is what I really like, and have used it to get my awesome sound. The acoustic sim on here is just totally awesome too. I had to tweak it a little, but it's got a great acoustic sound, very realistic, blows Boss's out of the water. Like the other guy said, some of the effects are kinda odd, and they are, but the basic stuff, such as distortion/chorus/reverb/delay, e.t.c., that stuff all works really well, and has a good sound. The wah was decent, nothing too spectacular, a good original cry-baby wah is a lot better though (or you could do what I did, and get the Dime cry-baby from hell, which is totally beast, and well worth the money).

Like I said earlier, I play balls to the wall metal. This does do a good job. One thing I really like is the LED display, vs. many other brands LCD display, or lack of display (and so on) so you can easily see what setting you're on on stage, not to mention, it's chromatic tuner, is easy to read and use on a dark stage e.t.c. It's got a pretty cool function, where you can go into a "sub-bank" if you will, within your current preset, so, you can go into a preset, and turn off the distortion if you want, or turn on/off the delay, chorus, reverb, wah, e.t.c. I'm thinking, if this does go haywire, for, whatever reason, I probably wouldn't get another one, simply, cause, Zoom is no longer made by the same people anymore, and frankly, their newer stuff is starting to suck. Their old stuff on the other hand (such as this) are totally beast, and if you can get your hands on one, go for it, other than that, eh. I might try using the amp distortion or whatever on my Randall RH200 if this crapped out on me, but, with that said, YES, this pedal has more gain and punch than Randall as far as distortion goes (it's straight up clean electric tone can't match Randall's though [or Fender's for that matter]) but the rest of the fx rock.

Good, solid built, all metal chasis, just like the DigiTech, all the knobs turn fluently e.t.c. I've gigged with it multiple times, and I've had no trouble what so all with it. I think a knob fell off, but that was my dumbass drummers fault (haha, when in doubt, blame your drummer), but that was easily fixable.

Took me a little while to figure it out, but it's pretty straight forward and good.

TechnicolorType
    rofl maduser you think the distortion is immature yet you play on a Line 6 Spider.. those things have the worst tone in the world.. you're just so used to bad tone that it's grown on you probably.
    mertzrocks
    I bought one new in 2000. Now three footswitches are broken but I still use it - even live. Agree that the adapter is flimsy but I've never had trouble w/live shows (duct tape does wonders sometimes). If it had more durable switches it would be much better but it is still a good product and I will continue to use it live until ALL the switches break. The sounds I get are icredible. (Gibson SG gothic, GFX8, Peavey bluestripe Bandit or Marshall JCM900)
    leenux5030
    I got this one from a neighbor who was vacating the building for 400 SEK (under $100). I must say it is a nightmare for anyone suffering from ADD (like me)because the manual is written by someone for whom everything was obvious on this pedal. Anyways once you know how to use it, it gives out pretty badass metal sounds. I use a Schecter Omen 7, and I am easily able to get Gozira-Mars to sirius album sort of tone out of it. And I am not even using an Amplifier, just my desktop speakers. Yes it has a built in amplifier simulation.
    sigma69
    i used to have this pedal and its true you can make any kind of setup sound good however it usually took me about 1/2 an hour to program a sound bank to my liking. other than that its very versatile and you can get any kind of sound out of it, from hendrix to vintagy sounds to heavy loose sounds like nirvana or punk. if youre looking for an all in one type effect this is one but youll have to put some effort into it. one other thing is that you cannot combine all the kind of effects you would like however the pedal is programmable and very useful not only for wah sounds
    simple rocker
    Yash Somaiya wrote: hey guys i'm gettin one of these used. should i go for it? there's also a used digitech gnx3 up for sale. which one should i go for??
    get it period )
    Yash Somaiya
    strawforest007
    The GFX-8 sounds super when used properly. If you can't be bothered to look at the manual then you'll not realise what it can do, unless you strike lucky. Some of the presets were a bit iffy but can still be a good laugh! Because of what I play I found I never used many of the features and so it's wasted on me, so I sold it. For those who play in bands where each song is vastly different (cover bands mainly) then this thing could be the key to an easy life on stage. It's built like a tank too! Happy days...
    nemesis_911
    irfahan wrote: I do have this super multieffects processor n i send it thru a spiritfolio mixer/celestion speakers.anyway i get horrible distortion a 60 hz strumming, as soon as i damp or earth the guitar, the hum goes away, but the problem is by parts where i either take my hands off(no earthin)the hum starts, is this problem often or does it come with it?ca someone explain pls
    well i had that trouble, wat i did was i earthed my amp. problem solved
    Vansvil
    I bought this pedal a couple of weeks a go.. for about $159.(2yrs. used) from a friend. I use a GXR370 run it through a peavey bandit amp and it sounds good. I really love pedals like this u could hit the manual button and itll be like analogue style. I also like the amp simulation it adds more profile to your guitar tone and u can make a some distinctive sound plus the weight man i think this pedal can last through decades. I honestly think that this pedal is for Semi-pro/pro musicians.
    irfahan
    maduser
    Don't know about the other dudes, but I tried to use this instrument. I have to tell you, it's a toy - nothing more nothing less. It sounds unprofessional. I was looking for somthing to rehearse, only some basic patches. The clean is ok, I guess, but the distortion is very immature. In general, the effects sounds silly. The wha was ridiculous. I play only old school metal, so for me it's 100% pure crap. The gear I was trying it on: AMP: LINE 6 spider 211. GUITAR: GIBSON SG USA. EXPERIENCE: 12 years
    Godderz_24
    i've had this pedal over a year now and now they bring out that new G9.2tt! im actually selling my gfx8 and buying that beast plus im getting a job... so i can actually afford it soon aceeee has anyone got it yet? i'd like to see some reviews
    philgruber153
    could someone, anybody out there email me your own customised patches for the gfx-8, i'm having much difficulties trying to make some and about to give up. thank you for saving me. i can be reach at philgruber153@hotmail.com. many thanks!
    leenux5030
    Alright mate, how do you plan to load patches to the pedal ? via MIDI (via edit program) or manually edit each parameter ? If MIDI then I can send you the project file that I created.
    thundershock8
    Hi!. I have this pedal and I would like if you send me some patches that you have created please. Mi email is javieron-ingeniero@hotmail.com. Thanks
    094568029434geo
    I got this pedal in nov 2013 for my 29th bday. Its better than all pedals at the moment because it has real dedicated analogue circuits not a total software emulation. I have no idea how to access it fully , I just use the pre-sets. I spend hours trying to work it but still cant use the pedal or harmonizers properly. I had a boss me-50 before. For sound and versatility I would say this is a must have pedal for every guitarist.
    thebigreid
    Hi Just been given one of these and not had a chance to use it yet, anyone know if it has a loop function, thanks