MRS-8 review by Zoom

Zoom: MRS-8

Fender Tele and a Roland 15W amp. I can write a hundred pages on the sound of this portable multi-trak recording studio. To keep this short, I will concentrate on the effects that is built-in this Machine. Once you plug in your guitar, you can select a whole range of effects. First, you select the type of effect (eg. acoustic/bass sim, clean, distortion), then the specific built-in effect that you can edit (eg. f-tweed, JB style, full size) Once you have selected the specific effect you want to stick on, press the Edit button and you can edit the EQ, PAT, the effect and additional effects (eg. v chorus, auto wah, delay) You can also start from scratch and save your effect because if you edit an effect it will return to default once you re-select. Overall, I think the sound is good if you play it through a smaller amp, however I don't think it's clean enough.

It's a good Machine for whatever style you play. I think it's especially good if you are a lonely guitarist and you don't have a drumkit or a bass nearby the record all the layers (of course you can do that, but it comes with the wonderful range of different drum patterns from rock, blues to afro, and bass riffs). If I could choose another Zoom product, I would get a guitar pedal, since I use this multi-track recorder as guitar effect. What can I say overall, it's a very mysterious Machine that is waiting for you to discover all the different features inside.

I use it in my bedroom, since it's portable I don't really use it as a studio, however I record my early songs through it. The built-in mic on the machine is terrible, but the overall durability is pretty nice. Once you get the hang of it, you can rely on this thing really well.

The MRS-8 is not exactly a guitar effect, but there is a lot to it than meets the eye. Once you start using it you will keep finding out amazing things (the manual is like 300 pages thick plain text I don't think anyone would read it), the eight-track recorder comes with a lot of features, like the different effects and simulators waiting for you to explore, the touch sensitive drum pad, and over 500 different built-in drum rhythms and bass riffs. You can use batteries or plugged, and uses SD card for storage.