Tri Metal TM-01 review by Zoom

Zoom: Tri Metal TM-01

Purchased from: Monty's Music

I am using it with an ESP LTD F-2005 with a small Crate MX-15 amp. It is extremely noisy on all settings and raises the volume of the sound considerably. The effects (distortion) always sound great and there are a wide variety of sounds you can adjust to fit you. I can get a slightly different but very close sound to Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, or Shadows Fall and on a very low setting GN'R and other rock. The only sound you can get out of this pedal (that I know of) is distortion and you can get a ton of it in the highest quality from this.

I play mainly thrash metal (Metallica), though some heavy metal (Iron Maiden) and hard rock (GN'R) it works great for all the aforementioned styles. I have been playing for about 8-9 months and my other gear is my one guitar, and ESP LTD F-2005 and my very weak, small amp a Crate MX-15. If I had only one thing that I know now about this product now to ask it would be "how many of these have been returned with issues before?" If it was stolen that person's head would be found a good distance from his body and if it was lost I would definitely get another one because it is a great product. My favorite thing about it is the wide range of distortion available (Beatles-Cannibal Corpse) my least favorite thing is that it sems to be unreliable (I had to try several times to make it start more than once) and the fact that it is a complete battery-hog (one full day of playing or less with a new 9-volt battery and it is out for sure). When I as at the music store I tried it out against several similarly priced dist. pedals (one with overdrive in its name) and it simply had the best tone of all of them. The only thing I wish it had is something that it cannot do: other effects, but besides that it is very good.

Dependability is one issue with it, though my case may be unusual: it just stopped working after several new batteries were tried and I sent it back in for a replacement. During those months though, I never had any problem with it all. I would probably not use it live without a backup, but again, maybe just my paranoia about things breaking.

This pedal is great, and has a great sound for what I play (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc). It is very easy to tweak the settings for a good sound. The manual explained as much as I neded to know and helped me a little further. It has not been upgraded.