Tri Metal TM-01 review by Zoom

Zoom: Tri Metal TM-01

Purchased from: Peeler Music

I'm currently using it with a Schecter Omen 6 and a Crate GX1200 half stack (yes I know my amp is pretty much junk but it's what I'm stuck with at the moment). It's by far the quietest pedal I have ever used. The pedal I compared it to is the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone(which I also own), and the Zoom just blows it away. It always sounds great, I haven't gotten a bad sound out of it yet (except for the time my guitar fell over while still pluggeed in, but I don't think that counts). I listen to a lot of Chimaira, Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage, and Trivium and the Tri-Metal does a pretty good job getting those tones. I wouldn't suggest it for classic rock-type sounds but if you roll back the gain it'll work in a pinch.

I play metal (no sub-genres here, either it's metal or it's not)and it matches my playing style perfectly. I've been playing for about 11 years now and I wish this pedal existed when I first started. At the moment I own a Schecter Omen 6, a Crate half-stack, about half a dozen various distortion pedals, and the Tri-Metal. If it were stolen I would track down the perpetrator and beat them to death with the very same pedal they stole(it's pretty durable). I love the tone, the only thing I don't like about it is the relatively small Switch, which would be easy to miss on a dark stage (I have). I compared it to the Boss MT-2 and the Tri-Metal is the only dedicated distortion pedal I have yet heard that tops it. The only thing I wish it had is a bigger switch.

I would definitely depend on this pedal. I've owned it for about 3 years now and have yet to have any reliability issues. One note though, it eats batteries like they're going out of style so I would suggest getting an AC adapter. I would and have used this pedal on a gig without a backup.

It sounded pretty good as soon as I plugged it in, not a whole lot of tweaking required to get a good tone. I eventually settled on everything set on 6 or so and ended up with a reasonable facsimile of Slayer tone. Basically just twist the knobs 'till you like what you hear.