Tri Metal TM-01 review by Zoom

Zoom: Tri Metal TM-01

Purchased from: Kitts Music

I use humbucker-pickup-equiped guitars with this one all the time & I gotta tell you, the results never fail to impress. It's not very noisy at all (surprisingly) on pretty much all the settings, and most of the settings are that way. Furthermore, with the settings that I usually use, they really seem to put a real kick into the overall sound, regardless of exterior effects that I place under or even on top of this distortion, so it always cuts through! The Tri-Metal is an excellent, in fact, immaculate rhythym distortion pedal. The tones I can get seem to range from a blusey-rock style crunch/overdrive all the way to a searing death metal-esque over-the-top distortion! But unfortunately, I personally would not recommend this pedal for lead-playing tones. Maybe it's just me, but that's just the way I feel about lead playing with the Tri-Metal. However, I still give it great props (and recommendation) for it's effects on rhythym playing.

I play a lot of metal (all kinds of it) and this pedal doesn't disappoint in the least; with the exception of using it for leads and solos and whatnot (in my opinion of course). But nonetheless, this pedal really cuts through and should really be checked out by general metal fans. I also own a DigiTech Death Metal, and have a lot of experience with the Boss Metal Zone, and this pedal is a pretty good match. Some tones are in between, so I wouldn't necessarily say that each can be classified as better than others, so it's just a matter of taste in the end. All I can say is that this pedal is great. In my honest opinion, this should be a great competitor in the world of distortions along with the other 2 I mentioned above, but due to its lack of knowledge to most guitarists & the fact that it's overshadowed by others like the Metal Zone & Death Metal (again mentioned above), it doesn't seem to be. Personally, I found this pedal used in a privately-owned shop and have never seen it anywhere else, so if it were ever stolen, you can be sure that I'd be one unhappy metalhead.

This pedal has quite a hardware casing. If it's not metallic, then it's definitely something wickedly durable because it looks like it can handle (and has handled) quite a beating, so you can be sure that this would be a great pedal to gig with. However, I would suggest using it in conjunction with other pedals & an adapter to make it that much more noiseless for live peformance situations.

Very simple pedal to use. Just turn the knobs around like most distortions. However, getting the desired sound can prove to be a little bit of a task considering that there are 4 EQ controls: treble, bass & 2 mid range frequencies; all of which have a distinctive affect on the tonal range of the entire tone, which is unlike a few pedals I've worked with before. But again, once you get used to the format, it becomes a breeze to scroll through desired tones over and over again.

SkyValley
    Definitely. I picked up a used one for 35 bucks and I use it all the time.