Fuzz Factory review by Zvex

Zvex: Fuzz Factory

Purchased from: soundsgreatmusic.com

I'm using with a Tanglewood Strat copy and a Behringer GM108 and it can sound great but on some settings it can get very crackly but this is remedied by turning the volume knob on the guitar back just slightly. There are also settings (such as 'velco fuzz') which won't let you hold any notes before it crakles out (in the velcro style it's meant to) and especially when playing high notes you barely get a second before it's gone. I asked Zach about this and it can be helped by turning the 'comp' down a little bit and selecting the rhythm pickup (on my 5 way pickup selector I found that the middle/ neck setting was the best) but it's still pretty irritating, it could be the stock pickups on my guitar though! Once you've learned how to tame crackles and squeeks this pedal makes the greatest sounds! It can be set up to sound like a regular Fuzz Face or you can make extremely bizzare sounds with it. It can be really noisy and it's recommended that you don't put the volume knob past 10 o'clock. I play things like Hendrix and Guns N' Roses and this pedal can do them fantasticly. For hendrix you can set it up as a Fuzz Face or an octavia and for Guns N' Roses you can get some lovely overdriven sounds.

I've been playing for one and a half years and as I said I play mostly rock and this pedal suits me and my playing down to the ground! If it were lost or stolen I'd buy it again! I absolutely love this pedal because of it's versatility and the only thing I don't like is the screeching and crackling some settings have but they can be tweaked. I didn't compare it to any other products, I was linked to the video from the forums here and wanted it! I was also very pleased about there being the vexter model (the one I got) which is exactly the same pedal but cheaper because it's not hand painted!

This thing's built like a tank! It's made out of aluminum and feels like it could take a beating! I would without a doubt be able to depend on it at a gig without backup!

This is a fuzz unit that uses 2 geranium transistors, you can get a load of great sounds from it and some not so great sounds. The sheet of paper that comes with it tells you what each of the knobs does and tells you 5 settings which is quite handy because you can use these as a start point for getting 'your sound', but of course if you're not one to read the instructions you can dive right in.

wannabe jesus
    2 things to add onto my review but since I can't edit (or I just don't know how) I'll post here. A lot of the crackling was down to my old strings, once I put new strings on most crackling stopped. Also there aren't that many settings that sound good with chords, it's designed for solo's and single notes at a time.
    ponnightingale
    L053R
    Can you get metal stuff out it?? if it could handle that, i'm definetely buying it
    wannabe jesus
    Hmm, I wish I could rewrite this review. When I wrote it I was still like "OMG :O" and hadn't explored it nearly enough. It isn't easy at all to use, you have to really mess about with it to figure out how to control the qualities of the fuzz and even then you sometimes get some unexpected (but not necessarily bad) noises. It can do a sort of fuzz facey thang but if you want fuzz face fuzz then get a fuzz face. Also TBH looking back over the review it, >95% of the settings don't suit any style of music that doesn't have fuzz factory in it. Damn I wish the reviews had an edit button.
    thev90
    ponnightingale wrote: im getting the pedal for christmas... vexter model too nd btw never mind GnR nd hendrix fuzz factories are for muse songs!
    Yeah if you're curious about the pedal and can't test play one for yourself listen to some Muse, matt bellamy uses it on like every song, he's got a fuzz factory built into 3 or 4 of his custom guitars. But it's a great pedal, i live in MN so it makes me proud that it was invented and is hand made here (except the vexter series, some of it is made in Taiwan, but most of the pedal production is in MN) but when I got my fuzz factory vexter i instantly (within a day or two) realized i had no need for my other disto pedals. I have gotten so many sounds out of this pedal, from nes or sega-like crunchy beeping, to straight fuzz. It also works awesome with both solos and to my amazement chords, with my other disto pedals i never felt like i was getting a noticeable sound change when i changed chords, but i can do it with this. well this was long but i could go on, oh and ash is another great band that use this pedal, maybe not as much as muse, but this pedal is amazing. sorry for the length.
    monstooge
    i think its an amzing pedal too its perfect for muse (especially plug in baby) if you dont want to risk breaking the pedal and guitar .. use velcrow to attach it on the base of the pedal and your guitar and a small patch lead to the input and you're away its fantastic
    .*Tom*.
    Got this the other day and iv just about figured it out, its superb! Best thing i've ever bought!