Fuzz Factory review by Zvex

Zvex: Fuzz Factory

I'm playing a MiM Strat through a Valveking 112. I've been using the FF more then my on board distortion. It has a very unique sound to it. It's high gain modern sounding fuzz is where it shines(think Muse) but it also can do retro fuzz (fuzzface-ish) with enough tweaking. It can also make cool but less useful sounds, such as very heavily fuzzed 8-bit sounds. Super Mario Bros FTW. Also the FF adds tons of sustain (on some settings it can also take a lot away). Harmonics ring out like crazy too. The pedal can be very noisy at times, but again this is a tweaker pedal, so the problems can be fixed. I think alot of the noises come from AM radio frequencies because I can dial in some Spanish station pretty well.

I have been playing guitar for about three years, I play blues/classic, modern rock and some metal. This pedal is more suited for the latter two. This may not be one the most versatile fuzzes but what it does, it does extremely well. If it was stolen/lost I think I might get a handpainted one. I also considered a Big Muff, but I wanted something different, so I went with the Fuzz Factory. Overall I am very happy with it.

The FF supposedly can be used for like three years with the same battery. If for some reason my power supply stopped working I would trust the battery. Build wise it's got a solid aluminum housing that is the same size as an MXR pedal on it's side. I trust it's not going to be breaking on me anytime soon.

The Zvex FF come with a single piece of paper for the manual. It contains a small description of the pedal what each knob does and a few presets. With the presets it pretty easy to get good sounds out of it. However when you decide to get crazy and venture out of the presets things get more complicated. Turning knobs while the pedal is on can result in ear piercing screeches. If you learn how the knobs interact with each other it's possible to get new sounds that are even better then the presets. Also the guitar's volume knob effects the decay time a lot.

Krispi
    Is it just me or is this pedal related to Matt Bellamy TOO much?
    stoneage_tbag
    This pedal is a lot of fun, almost too much, its hard to remember certain tones, it does take some time. I will say that it has not replaced my Big Muff however. The Muff gives a more reliable rhythm sound, better than the Factory, but its not nearly as fun. Matt does not use this pedal for his main sound, depending on the album its the amp, from Diezel to Vox and Marshall (so I have read, who knows), the factory is used more as an expression pedal, he tweaks the Gate and Stab from the crazy in-guitar setup he has.
    vennaco
    Got one of these off ebay yesterday for 60 euros. Picking it up tonight. Can't wait
    bondmaxbondrock
    yeah seriously, i'm probably one of the only people that wants one of these that doesn't like muse.. i could give a rat's ass what matt bellamy uses this thing for.
    pinheadslts75
    [Yes same as me, i might be getting one very soon... hope it works on stuff other than muse....
    All things considered, he mostly stopped using a Fuzz Factory as his primary distortion after 2002, despite what people tell you. It works for a lot of stuff. I can dial in a tight low end that's good for palm muting and metal-ish stuff, and then switch to a tone that can give you a My Bloody Valentine vibe when stacked into a reverse delay.
    noisewall11
    Krispi wrote: Is it just me or is this pedal related to Matt Bellamy TOO much?