Mastotron review by Zvex

Zvex: Mastotron

The sound of this pedal is phenomenal, although it is my first fuzz pedal, and I prefer over the top, velcro/bit sounding fuzz, such as Devi Ever's Soda Meiser and Hyperion. I chose this pedal over a Vintage Fuzz Factory because of the stability of sound silicon offers over germanium. ('parasites of sound' is the name for residual electricity distribution in germanium pedals. Temperature/humidity changes their sound, and I live in Florida.) If square wave (third knob ccw) before noon, push after noon, and tone under 1/4, it gets noisy. I like it towards pulse anyways, and other settings are not bad at all. Chorus is complimentary. Into distortion gets a little hectic, but alongside distortion is perfect! Great with digital delay, alright with analog. (Doesn't preserve as much grit.

I would buy this pedal again, else a fuzz factory. I was right on the line between these pedals until the day of purchase. My next fuzz will be a Devi Ever Soda Meiser or Shoegazer for sure; they are about the tones I'm looking for overall, but not as a replacement for this pedal. They have a different feel! I'm into a lot of experimental music; my two biggest influences right now are newer Skinny Puppy ("The Greater Wrong Of The Right") and The Sounds Of Animals Fighting ("Ocean And The Sun" is my absolute favourite album at current.) Highly influenced by Deathboy. (http://www.deathboy.co.uk/mp3/) Playing for 5 years, but rounded out between production work, theory, and vocal stuff. I mostly do originals. Soundcloud.com/restinsatinsilence has some of my newer work, and I'll have thick fuzz tones in my upcoming sound very soon! This is about perfect for my first fuzz, the knobs will help me get a feel for tone range. It's usable tones are diverse, and it is sleek.

YouTube preview picture

Built well, Little three way switch is inconveniently placed, and it is the most haphazard part on the pedal. Probably fine, though! Solid metal, sturdy jacks, good knobs. This field needs more characters to submit... I haven't had t long, but no immediately forseeable issues.

For 5 knobs and three switch settings, this pedal is pretty straight forward. I dialed in to the tone that I love in under 5 minutes. I disagree with reviews in which a person considers a pedal 'difficult' to use when it's got anything more than a volume knob. Manual is a single page, one sided- pretty straightforward, although not scientifically thorough like some company's manuals. The effects dialed in are subtle, so you can get exactly the tone you want from it with relative ease!

69smokey69
    How noisy is this pedal, and would it be a good match for classic rock and blues?
    bdobosz73
    I got this and Nano Big muff and i can say: If you dont need Pink Floyd's sustain everything else can be done on Mastotron with relax/push and PW knob I can get various fuzz tones : [b]Maestro Fuzz (10 am automatic Black keys)+ relaxing the tone and rising the PW before 10(o'clock) allows the fuzz to become clearer and shorter/kind of OD-ish fuzz for [b]Rolling stones + also u can leave PW on Square left side and have a simplish Fuzz face for [b]hendrix sound + or you can go to [b]Witch-Seer tone by cranking up the PW