Super Hard-On review by Zvex

Zvex: Super Hard-On

I'll say this before I say anything else: this pedal was designed for tube amps. I'm not to wild on how it sounds with solid state amps, but then again, I don't like most solid state amps to begin with. Try it with a tube amp. I'm using this pedal with a Diezel VH4S halfstack and two Gibson Les Paul Customs, but I'll pull out some other guitars from time to time. Basically, this pedal will make your amp sound ten times bigger, no joke. If you primarily play clean or want your clean channel to have some added sparkle, try this thing out. I swear, every single clean player that I've recommended this pedal to has thanked me over and over. It is a godsend for Strats into Twin Reverbs, and the holy grail for hollowbodies into fat, clean sounding amps. It will had dimension and sparkle that surrounds you, and you'll never want to turn it off. I never turn mine off. If your guitar sounds weak or your pickup output is too low, give this a shot. It'll make them sound like the day they came off of the winder. But how does it sound distorted? Awesome. In the effects loop of the highgain rhythm channel on my Diezel (Channel 3) it adds a huge volume boost. Going through the front of the amp it sweetens the distortion sound, and makes it even fatter and stronger sounding. Running it in front of the amp distorted doesn't make it louder like it would clean, but it still gives a sparkle to the drive that is totally unique to this pedal. I've never found anything quite like it. My Les Pauls with humbuckers through this pedal hit the amp with a really strong signal.

I think that every guitar player should have one of these pedals. It makes everything so much fuller, stronger and crisper. If it were stolen or lost I'd have to buy another. If you aren't getting enough punch out of your tube amp, try this pedal out.

Zachary Vex has lifetime warranties on all of his products, even if they're used. If something goes wrong, he's there to fix it and have it back to you ASAP. He has great customer support and really will go the extra mile for you.

There is only one knob, the volume control. This pedal has to be the simplest pedal to get a great sound out of that's ever been built. The pedal is an interesting take on a clean boost, where its namesake came from "giving a super hard on to your amplifier". It's a very interesting way of putting it, but Zachary Vex is a very interesting guy. Anyway, most clean boosts just take your signal, amplify it and slam your amp harder with a stronger signal, in essence. This will provide a clean boost for a while, but higher settings will result in distortion or Overdrive sounds. The signal at that point is hitting a clipping roof of sorts, so when the signal gets to that level it clips, or distorts. The Super Hard On raises the volume, but also raises the clipping roof at the same time, thus reducing the chances of distortion considerably. Pretty amazing idea, and it works really, really well. The Super Hard On comes with: a really easy way to strengthen your amplified sound. The ability to add a whole new dimension of sparkle, especially to your clean sound. True Bypass switching. Extremely low battery draw (will last for months upon months). Two outputs to run to two amps at the same time, or one to a tuner pedal. Lifetime warranty, even if it is used.

kaisersteev
    The name is not from "giving a super hard on to your amplifier", it's just "super hard on your amplifier", as in its rough on it. I blew out my power tubes diming this thing. It works great even at unity gain just cleaning everything up. an awesome transparent buffer before/after long cable runs or many true bypass pedals. Works well as overdrive into an almost-dirty set tube amp, as well as getting the real dirt out of a potentially awesome distortion pedal.