USA (Boston), May 20, 2008 Review

artist: Dream Theater date: 06/06/2008 category: live concerts

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Dream Theater: USA (Boston), May 20, 2008
The most crazy part of the show was a keytar/guitar battle between Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci, followed by Rudess playing the keytar and keyboard at the same time.
 Perfomance: 10
 8.5
 9.7
 7.2
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this concert:
USA (Boston), May 20, 2008 Reviewed by: Ronofthedead07, on june 06, 2008

Sound: James LaBrie is a decent singer. I've heard better and I've heard worse, but he does have a remarkable vocal range. I've seen videos of John Petrucci using several different 6- and 7-string guitars. I got to see many of them used at Progressive Nation '08. My roommate owns a MusicMan John Petrucci 6-string guitar, and I know first-hand that they are very high-quality instruments. Jordan Rudess uses a pretty beefed up keyboard, a cool fingerboard, and a keytar, with which he duels in solo with John Petrucci. If you've never seen Mike Portnoy's drum set, you haven't lived. It is massive, and he finds a way to use everything that's thrown into it. John Myung plays some sweet 6-string Yamahas, from his own line of basses, I believe. Amazing sound all around, nothing less than I expected from a supergroup like Dream Theater. // 10

Perfomance: I loved watching them. It was a real treat. I don't remember every song they played, but I'll list the few I do remember: In The Presence Of Enemies: Part 1 - they opened the set with this one. One of my favorite Dream Theater tunes, this is probably the best choice they could have made for an opening. Forsaken - this is another one of my favorite Dream Theater tunes. It combines a good variety of chill music with intense metal-like riffs as well. As I Am - this song kicks ass. I wasn't too familiar with it before I went to the show, but I was blown away by its intensity and how the entire audience got so into the song. The Ministry Of Lost Souls - this is another one that illustrates Dream Theater's ability to do different genres all in one song. A few beautiful solos and crazy stuff in the middle of the song make for one incredible experience. The most crazy part of the show was a keytar/guitar battle between Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci, followed by Rudess playing the keytar and keyboard at the same time, it's nuts. // 10

Overall Impression: The show took place at the Orpheum Theater in Boston, MA, on May, 20, 2008. There were 3 openers to the big show: two lesser known bands called 3 and BTBAM. The third was Opeth, an up-and-coming death metal band. I'm not crazy about death metal, so hearing 2 hours of it before the big show wasn't the greatest thing in the world. Listening to Dream Theater Live more than made up for it, though. Tickets were $51 each, and the show was more than worth it. If I get the chance, I would see DT again in a heartbeat. // 9

More Dream Theater reviews rating latest review