Nailbomb review by Bare Knuckle Pickups

Bare Knuckle Pickups: Nailbomb

Purchased from: Bare Knuckle Pickups

These pickups are wonderful, and the price isn't as bad as I thought it might be (around $250, after shipping/import charges etc), considering a set of EMG's would cost ~$200. I have the calibrated Nailbomb set, the bridge having a ceramic magnet and the neck having an Alnico V magnet. These are beautiful sounding pickups, with great output for passives. I'm using it with my B-52 LS-100 and two pedals: Boss ME-70 and Vox Tonelab ST. The tone on the ceramic has a beefy but tight bass response, with smooth mids and bright, sparkling highs. The bass and treble almost seem to overtake the mids, but everything is very balanced. In the neck's Alnico V it is similar, but the highs are much more controlled for extremely precise articulation and powerful, solid mids. I have coil tap in my guitar and that adds even more versatility - these pickups are the metal-clad jack-of-all-trades. From High-gain to ska, it can do it all with perfection.

I love every single thing about these pickups. I am not one for a flying-colors review, but these pickups were everything I imagined and more. I could never feel more content with my musical gear and I'm looking forward to all the tonal possibilities I have in the future. I installed the pickups in a Schecter C-1 Standard, which has high quality wood making my guitar a pricey S.O.B. As stated above, I have the calibrated set (neck and bridge positions) and they are made to work in tandem, and they are perfection. I've played on Burstbucker Pro pickups, Seymour Duncan SH-6 and SH-8 invader sets, HB101-HB102 duncan designed set, EMG 85/81 set, and the list goes on. None of those come close to the quality I see in BKP. I understand these pickups may not be YOUR perfect 10, but I assure you Bare Knuckle has something for you worth much more than you think.

This pickup is durable and it seems like it will last, but it does more than seem - it will. Every Bare Knuckle Pickup comes with lifetime warranty, and voiding the warranty is somewhat impossible (unless you find a way to annihilate your pickups conventionally) providing you don't expect to be reimbursed for installation fees. These pickups are dependable, all the material seems Grade-A and built to last.

Simple Jack
    ^ I'm not an Iron Maiden fan, but my guess would be these probably wouldn't be ideal for that style. These are a pretty damn hot pickup, and I would think they'd be too hot for that Strat-driven classic rock sound. I've got a Nailbomb in the bridge of my Les Paul, and it cranks out a seriously high gain sound. Still if it's quality you want you've nailed the right brand. Send BKP an email detailing your guitar and the tone you want to achieve - they will point you in the right direction.