'Pig 90 review by Bare Knuckle Pickups

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Bare Knuckle Pickups: 'Pig 90

Purchased from: Bare Knuckle Webiste

This pickup is absolutely incredible and perfectly suits what I wanted it for. I play hard rock verging on metal in E flat Standard and Drop C#. Thin Lizzy, The Sword, Mastodon, Sabbath etc. It handles gain incredibly well and distorted chords ring out with total clarity. The pickup is installed in 2002 Les Paul Junior (bought for my love of blackberry smoke) running through an Orange CR120 Head but when I used the guitar in a live setting, it just couldn't keep up with my co guitarists Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates and the style of music we play.

It has the slight hum of a normal P90 when the strings aren't muted but nothing that can't be controlled. The sound is rich and creamy and as mentioned Playing distorted chords in Drop C# or E flat standard the all the notes ring out! The pickup isn't limited to just heavy distortion either as when this thing is on clean everything is really crisp and responds well to picking dynamics.

The pickup has the dog ear casing (it also comes in the soapbar casing on request). So looks and feels just like the original Gibson pickup and should be pretty solid. I imagine it will wear like a normal P90 and as long as I don't sweat too much all over it, it'll be fine. I will be gigging this without a backup and am looking forward to hearing peoples reactions to how a P90 can handle the type our brand of hard rock/metal. For those curious to hear what type of music we play.

I thought I would put this review up as there was a lack of reviews/videos for this pickup and wanted to help others decide whether the pickup was for them or not. I managed to pick the guitar up for £400 quid off eBay and the pickup on top for another £84 quid. This guitar is now on par with my Gibson 2004 Les Paul Classic for tone, which I bought for £1100!

It's my first use of Bare Knuckle pickups and I can't fault them. They helped me decide which pickup would suit my style of music best, The pickup was delivered within 2 weeks after ordering with a set of Rotosound Yellows (coincidentally my strings of choice) and the pickup sounds incredible! What more could you want! I have a Fender Strat with a Seymour Duncan JB in, which I'm now considering looking at getting a Bare Knuckle for that also.