M22SD Review

manufacturer: Carvin date: 06/06/2012 category: Pickups

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Carvin: M22SD
This pick is loud, aggressive and sensitive to the volume/tone knob use, it brings out the character of the soft Maple body very well.
 4,023
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
M22SD Reviewed by: AJ6stringsting, on june 06, 2012

Purchased from: Carvin

Sound: This pick is loud, aggressive and sensitive to the volume/ tone knob use, it brings out the character of the soft Maple body very well and I put this mofo in the bridge position. The signal went thru an VHT Valvulator II, a DigiTech RP-12 and RP-1, a rack with 2 31 band Eq's, a BBE Sonic Maximizer, a Behringer 1124 Feedback Destroyer Pro, Hush Noise Reduction units, Monster 2500 Power Conditioner to a 1986 Carvin X-100B. The M22SD has nice fat round tight tone, the lower mids are fat but not flabby, the upper mids are scorchingly mean and the treble is burning hot. Mine was rated 14.1k ohms on my metter. When distorted / overdriven, this pickup delivers huge tone with an Eq'ed that perfect for this guitar. When I used this on my clean channel, it delivered a nice / beautiful crystally tone when I rolled the volume knob to 4 and half, I got the tone the guys from Queensryche got on "Waiting For 22" on "Operation Mind Crime". Think of this pick up as having DiMarzio Evolution (Bridge) mid response and having Bill Lawrence XL-500 treble properties. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pick came very well constructed, with 22 adjustable poles and is made of Alnico 5 magnets, for big warmth. What I liked was the pick up mount that came with it, it had two adjustable height screws on the bass side as to not let it rock around like other pick up mounts. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this pick up there is nothing to hate about it. I installed this pick with a GFS Lil Killer in the neck and a DragonFire HOT Rail Stacked Humbucker. Many people are critical of Carvin pickups, but to me this ended my love affair with the DiMarzio Evolution as my main bridge pick up. // 10

Comments