Air Norton DP193 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Air Norton DP193

Purchased from: www.musiciansfriend.com

To begin? I've got this pup in the neck position in my Ibanez; RG3EXFM1 (see my review of it for more info) and it really sings. I replaced the stock V7 neck pickup with this Air Norton and the tone when from muddy and sub-par, to; as James Hetfield would say, "Oooh Yeah-heah!" The output level is not too loud, when used with my 500k pots. I have not tried it with any other pots, but it's just the right output with a 500k. It has a very warm tone, almost like a jazz clean tone. It's a little on the bassy side of the spectrum, but when your Amp's EQ is adjusted to bring the bass down one or two notches, And it's perfect. When used for clean rythmns and chords, it comes across almost as an Acoustic guitar sound. When some chorus, reverb, and a solo is run through this pup? It sounds like something along the lines of David Gilmour. However, when you put some distortion on this thing? Oh Man, it really packs a punch! It's really crunchy when distorted, and is AWESOME for playing Metal or Hard Rock Ryhtmns.

I love the sheer versatility of this pickup. I can play everything from Pink Floyd to Metallica and more, and this pup gives me a great tone for it. When paired with a D-Sonic or a CrunchLab in the bridge? You have the ultimate passive humbucker combo all for an affordable price. As a Neck Pickup, for the price? It simply cannot be beat. And I'm so confident in this pickup? That you can quote me on that!

I've beat this pickup to death, between hitting it with my heavy pick attacks, and the everyday wear-and-tear of playing? I'm actually amazed to find that it doesnt have any scratches in it! And the funny thing is? I bought the pickup in WHITE! DiMarzio really makes these pups with good, strong materials and they really can take a beating and sound great no matter what.

Fender Dane.
    EpiExplorer wrote: How long have you had this in? If its less than 3 weeks then seriously, think again before going right in to tell everyone about it. But whatever, Air Nortons are okay even if the name sounds like really strange anti-virus software.
    I think it sounds like a pair sneakers endorsed by a guy named Norton
    LightxGrenade
    Guitarist used "heavy pick attack"! It's super effective! lol how do sweeps sound on this bad boy? I've seen that a few virtuoso guitarists that use them...Petrucci I think?
    NickGiovanni
    I've had them in for a few months now. And with everyday playing and using this pickup, I would say I have fair grounds to review it on.
    ParasiticTwins
    Fender Dane. wrote: I think it sounds like a pair sneakers endorsed by a guy named Norton
    Edward Norton's Fight Club-style sneakers, maybe?
    J.J.G.
    to me it sounds more like one of those crappy flight companies
    EpiExplorer
    Ro734
    anyone tried a Crunch Lab (bridge) and Air Norton (neck) combo? im looking to upgrade the INF3s in my ibanez RG350M
    Ro734
    anyone tried a Crunch Lab (bridge) and Air Norton (neck) combo? or will a duncan hot rod set (JB and Jazz) be better? im looking to upgrade the INF3s in my ibanez RG350M.
    nanodelay
    I bought this pup, and it just sound amazing, if you like play loud like gilbert or vai, well obiusly you shouldnt buy it, but if you looking for a nice, sweet sound, with a HUGE sustain and with a lot of presence, this is your next pick up
    thadjrdn123
    petrucci doesnt use them anymore, he has his own pickup set now. i think the neck version is the Liquifire or something like that. but back in the 90's in his ibanez guitars he used them
    EpiExplorer
    NickGiovanni wrote: UG Troll uses 'Joke Overkill"! It's not very effective...
    You'd be surprised.
    NickGiovanni
    Petrucci uses these, I think Steve Vai used it a one point. Not sure of the specifics, but I've never tried sweeping on it. Typically I sweep on the bridge pickup, for "maximum effectiveness" and the Pokemon joke? Nice, hahahah xD