Air Norton DP193 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Air Norton DP193

Purchased from: Magdon Music

If you've read my review on the DiMarzio Air Zone, you'll know that I purchased this from a local music store 3 months ago and I believe I paid about $65.00 for it. I have this placed in the neck position of a Kramer Pacer FT-202S project guitar that I got for graduating high school. I'm playing through a MArshall Vintage Modern 2266 with a Boss Compressor, Chorus, Noise Gate, and a Way Huge Green Rhino. As for genres, I play hard rock, blues rock, and the rare blues, pop, and metal. It has a really nice, and warm sound to it. It has nice, clear highs, along with round, and full mids and bottom end. It sounds great on the clean and crunch/overdrive settings. With some heavier overdrive, it sounds well without being muddy. When I use the Green Rhino for solos, this pickup really sings. It has great, almost vocal like, sound that gives it this beautiful tone. The Air Norton is great in the neck position and it pairs up great with the Air Zone that I have in the bridge position. Some people also pair it up with the Tone Zone, and Super Distortion.

Is there really anything to say here? Pickups are meant to last awhile. And since it's a DiMarzio, I can trust it from not going microphonic and staying my guitar for years to come. As for using this pickup in my guitar? It'll definitely let my Pacer contend to be my main guitar and the guitar that I'll be using for gigs when I begin to do them regularly. If something ever does happen to my Air Norton, I'll definitely replace it out for another one.

I think this is a great match for the music I play (hard rock, blues rock, blues, and pop). If you play similar genres as I do, I would suggest that you check this out for the neck position of your guitar. I've been playing for 5 years and I just recently began to dwell into DiMarzio's products and I'm definitely impressed with them. Practically every pickup by them that I've tried out or heard has been clear, articulate, and spectacular sounding. If I had to compare this, it would be to a Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup. Personally, I really love the sound of my SD, but I like this DiMarzio just a tad more. Nonetheless, the Jazz is still a great pickup in its own right.