Air Norton S DP180 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Air Norton S DP180

This is a medium-output single-coil SIZED humbucker, and I had this installed in the neck position of my Ibanez SAS36FM shortly after purchase. I'm using it with several amps including the Peavey Vypyr 75, Roland Cube 80 and Vox AC30. The tone of this pickup is best described as warm and very full-sounding, though the higher fretted middle/low string notes aren't the most pleasant and sound thin. The high notes sound utterly fantastic when performing bends and vibrato, and lower notes & chords come out articulate and full. Harmonics and pinches sound with plenty of bite even on low-distortion amp settings! I have this pickup raised until almost touching the strings for a touch more clarity at high speeds.

My favourite feature about this pickup is how great the high notes sound! I'm normally a "fast is better" kind of player, but the tone this pickup provides really makes me appreciate the fantastic vibrato sound. That being said, speedy runs sound clear and articulate so this pickup is ideal for both types of playing. I have this installed in the neck position of my Ibanez SAS36FM as a replacement for the stock single-coil, and it has brought and enormous change in sound and versitality to my instrument

I have never known a pickup to be damaged or stop working in my 4 years of playing, so this is tough to answer. The pickup casing seems very solid and the insides are covered suitably, also I had this professionally installed so I don't expect any problems.