Air Zone DP192 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Air Zone DP192

Purchased from: Magdon Music

The Air Zone has a nice balance of bass, mids, and treble and it's basically DiMarzio's medium output version of their Tone Zone pickup. I bought this from a local music shop three months along an Air Norton to go into my Kramer Pacer FT-202S project guitar for the summer. Most of the music I play is heavily influenced by and play is '80s to modern hard rock, blues rock, pop-punk, along with the odd blues and (thrash) metal. So, I really need this to be able to pull through quite a few different ideas. I've been playing this, in the bridge position, through a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266. ON my current pedal-board, I'm using a Compressor, Chorus, Noise Gate (all Boss), a Way Huge Green Rhino, and hopefully an EHX Memory Boy in the near future. On the "low gain" of my amp (the option I use most), this pickup has a full and sweet sound that really pulls through. It's not too hot to insanely drive the amp, and I can clean it up well especially with my compressor. On the higher gain setting, it adds even more grit and it can really pull of heavier stuff like Metallica if the amp's EQ'd right. When I pop on my Green Rhino for solos, this pickup has a really nice "voice" to it and has that smooth, clear, and articulate sounds that DiMarzio's are known for. I'll have to give this a solid 9.5/10 since it's not up-to-par when I'm in the mood to some more "higher gain" stuff. It's still a solid pickup, though!

Since it's a pickup, I know I can rely on it without it not giving me any trouble. With the Air Zone/Air Norton set in my guitar, it'll be a contender as my main guitar and the one I'll use when I begin to gig regularly. I can guarantee that this'll be in my Pacer for years to come without any worry. Besides, if something somehow goes wrong, I'll just replace it with the same model. DiMarzio is a reliable company, so they'll continue to have my business. I'll have to give this an easy 10/10 for reliability/durability.

As I said, I mostly play hard rock and blues rock along with the occasional pop, blues, and metal. I feel that the Air Zone is a great match for me in the bridge slot and it really compliments the Air Norton (in the neck) as well. I'm really impressed with how clear it sounds even if I add a decent amount of gain to it. I'll definitely recommend this to anyone that plays rock, blues, pop, and it can even work for jazz if you have the amp for it. With my overall impression, I will have to give the Air Zone a 10/10.