Crunch-Lab DP228 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Crunch-Lab DP228

Purchased from: ebay

This pickup sounds incredible- it's a high output pickup, but it is on the lower side of the higher output pickups. It gets fantastic distortion and an almost piezo sounding clean tone. I've been using this pup in the bridge position of my Schecter hellraiser, and I run this through a pod hd500. The tone is very middle biased, with a good amount of bass, there is a little less treble but I really don't mind because it sounds fantastic, and it still has all the bite that I need in a bridge pickup. I use it with the bar facing the neck so I get a slightly bassier tone.

I love how even on a very distorted tone this pickup is how clear it is on the higher strings. If you play a g chord with heavy distortion you can hear every note ring clear. And to be honest, this pickup looks killer. I got it in black with chrome polls, so it just looks killer. I absolutely love this pup!

I have only had the pickup in for about a month, but it seams rock solid, and I'm positive it will last forever. Handmade in new york, and its dimarzio, so you know you can count on the quality.

Kazooiej
    Just swapped my Blackout AHB-2 with this pickup. Sounds a lot ballsier in the low-end, even though the blackout AHB-2 has an insane ammount of output. Also tried EMG's on a friends guitar, but compared to crunch labs, they sound incredibly thin and sterile. The crunch lab might be my new favorite metal pickup.
    dragonrage12
    Do u think it'll sound good if i install a paf pro on the neck position of my guitar???
    M67
    I use the Crunch Lab in a couple of my guitars and I'm very happy with the sounds I get out of it. Really great tones both clean or dirty, and the sustain is lively and long-lived. Primarily a rock pickup, but it's pretty versatile as it cleans up fairly nicely as well.
    Jax214
    I sound crazy saying this, but the best pickup for the neck position is the infinity 3! Yes, those terrible pickups in the old RG120 series. The crunch lab and infinity 3 are the perfect pair.