Dominion Bridge DP245 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Dominion Bridge DP245

Purchased from: Sent to me from Larry DiMarzio

It provides all of the chunky goodness I was expecting from a pickup with the name Dominion. I also enjoyed the accented mids. I always like to boost the mids a bit on my rig, but I don't need to with this one. The Dominion has an extremely punchy response, but is also smooth and warm. The highs are very singing and sweet while still retaining the low punch. These will be available in the typical DiMarzio color choices, and I love my black/purple version. I always use tons of gain when recording and playing - so this baby fit right in with my sound tastes. I love that the mids are higher than most humbuckers and I don't have to adjust amp or mixer dials to find the sweet spot - it has a natural sweet spot! I love this pickup so much, that I'm going to snatch up some more when they hit the market and dump them in some of my other Ibanez guitars. I'm really anxious to try out the neck version of the Dominion. A full audio review will be available on the Product Reviews page of my blog here.

The UPS truck just dropped this little monster yesterday, Feb 3 2012 - straight from Larry DiMarzio. They are not available to purchase yet, but I was able to get one to do a review. Luckily, I was able to get a purple/black version. I quickly installed this in my Ibanez RG-760. After adjusting the pickup height to my liking - I immediately began to put the Dominion through it's paces. I ran the guitar into my Ibanez SD9 distortion pedal and into my mixing board. The first thing I wanted to do was to crank it and go heavy... And boy, that's what this baby is! I could not get enough of it. It is nice and heavy with a great mid boost. In fact, it has more mids than most pickups. I immediately fell in love with the Dominion - it is my new best buddy. It just begs to be played heavy. I couldn't resist chugging on the intro to "Balls To The Wall". Then, I went through some old Dokken tunes, "When Heaven Comes Down" and "Kiss Of Death". After getting my fix of the amazing crunch this pickup delivers, I was curious to see how it performed in the clean department. I ran the RG-760 straight into my mixer and added a bit of chorus and reverb. Again - I was pleasantly surprised. The Dominion not only does what one would expect with a name like that, but also cleans up very nicely. After trying out the clean side of the Dominion, I just had to get back to the crunchy goodness this thing is made for. This time, I tried it through my Wampler Plextortion pedal and then my Wampler SLOstortion. I was not disappointed! I can coax that chunky Metallica chugga chugga chugga out of it, too. The best mix I came up with was to adjust my mixer EQ settings to: highs - 2 o'clock, mid - flat, low - 3 o'clock, and added a touch of reverb. Bottom line? This pickup sounds like it was wound just for me! It sounds like a combination of a DiMarzio Tone Zone and Breed all in one. It has that great bottom end of a Tone Zone and the warm smoothness of a Breed. I've been a DiMarzio fan for many moons, and have several different DiMarzio combos in all 36 of my Ibanez guitars - this one is at the top of my list. I swear - it sounds like the pickup I would have had custom made!

It's built to last - just like all other DiMarzios. It will last forever!

Linkerman
    Dream Floyd wrote: 9.5 for a free pickup. Credibility just flew out the window.
    Learn to read. He got it for free for reviewing purposes, before it even becomes available for purchase by the general public.
    bustapr
    Dream Floyd wrote: 9.5 for a free pickup. Credibility just flew out the window.
    ^this dude just made an idiot of himself wouldve liked an actual sound demo of the pickup. Theres none in the audio review linked. I dont think you should review a pickup 1 day after recieving it. And the review isnt very good. 50% of it is your equipment and around 45% of the rest is how much you love the pickup. Only description you gave was it has lots of mids. Hows feedback? Whats the impedance? how are the cleans? types of magnets? how does it sounds when using different settings on the volume knob? This review really didnt sound like it merited a free pickup for review sent straight from Larry Dimarzio...
    bdof
    I love the fact that this wasn't hailed as the Mark Morton pickup. It's obviously gonna kick ass for LoG material, but it's nice to see it pan out well for other styles
    Jemstar
    Review is probably pretty trust worthy, the reviewer is pretty active on Jemsite and Youtube :O
    shooto
    NEED TO KNOW!...do the bumped mids give it a "cocked wah" kind of vibe for lead/single note stuff? thanks!
    BigHeadClan
    He was going to do the full audio review on his blog, he will probably answer all of those questions there.