EVO 2 Bridge DP215 review by DiMarzio

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
DiMarzio: EVO 2 Bridge DP215

Output level is slightly lower than original EVO, but not really noticeable. Amp is Blackstar HT-5 and Boss SD-1 as booster. Guitar is Ibanez J Custom, neck through mahogany/maple guitar. Tone. This pickup is very bassy, and middy compared to DP159. It does clean up better than original EVO, and gone is the sometimes painful high end. For lead tone, this pickup has more sustain and harmonics than orig EVO. But for rhythm, this pickup lack the clarity and fast attack of the evo1. The sound is bordering on muddy, but not. I have to chance my amp setting drastically to compensate. This is not what I expected. I will need to play this pickup through more rig to assess its true character. But through my personal rig I'm not really happy with the sound. I would say, this is a better pickup than the EVO, if you play slower rock, or instrumental rock with a lot of leads. For heavy rock that require fast palm mute tracking and more cutting tone I still prefer the DP159 evolution.

I love how this pickup clean up. The DP159 can't clean up at all. Aside from that I still prefer DP159. Overall the experience is a bit of let down, after reading so much hype on the internet. It lost the most desirable quality of original EVO, that is the immediate pick attack. And gain only a bit in terms of cleaning up and slightly friendlier lead tone.

Yes it is built quite well, though not as good as a Seymour Duncan.