Evolution Bridge DP159 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Evolution Bridge DP159

Purchased from: guitarcenter.com

This pickup sounds great, and has the mid range boost I have been looking for. I put this pickup in my Ibanez S2170FB which I am running through a Peaxey JSX with a Marshall 1960A cab. I had been having some problems with a shrill muddy tone that I now attribute to the 500T that used to be in my bridge position. My tone is now much more balanced and much clearer. This pickup sounds phenomenal for leads, but lacks somewhat in the rhythm department and it is just not punchy enough for the good ol' chugging rhythms. I have heard that people say that it will pickup every little mistake, but I have not found this to be true, at least compared to the 500T. I have also heard that this pickup is REALLY hot, but it is not, at least compared to the 500T. Going along with this I have heard that is is an exceptionally loud pickup, also something I did not notice. I also hear that a pickup swap will not affect your tone all that much, which I disagree with as this change improved my tone a great deal.

I love the great tone balance it has with a lot of mid range along with just enough bass and not too much treble. I think it suites lead playing great, so if you are looking for a good rhythm pickup, this is not for you. It is also a very modern tone, so do not expect to be able to get any classic rock out of it, although it does have a surprisingly good clean tone, which would be more suitable for jazz.

Will this pickup last? It is a high quality pickup, and I have never heard of a pickup breaking, so I am not too worried although it is made of plastic and does not look to sturdy. If something did happen to it however, I would not hesitate to replace it as it is worth every penny of the $85 I payed for it.

webbtje
    You can't point out all the flaws in the sound, claim it's rubbish for rhythm and still give it a 10...
    Rock Boy
    If it doesn't look sturdy and it's lacking in rhythm, why did you give it 10?
    whaip
    and then 10? oh my gosh.... decent pickup although...
    guitarNbass
    this is my opinion... I'd rather be able to play rhythm and not lead rather than lead and not rhythm.
    Rock Pig
    A: You say the 500T has more clarity. Now tone is totally subjective but in this case I think it's safe to say that that's just not true. B: 10s all round despite saying it doesn't have the punch for good rhythms?
    Ischi
    Despite the poorreview, I'd like to add that this pick up is very good. It's rhythm capabilities are not as poor as this article seems to imply, and has been very sturdy in my experience with them.
    satch_magic
    that's weird with the rhythm quote, I use one in my Js100 and if you use the EQ on your amp as a rhythm channel, it does well do well. I give it an 8/10 for rhythm. Just Eq right, if you expect to have a thick rhythm sound on a lead channel it won't work as well for your rhythm playing(I know that's a pretty obvious statement though)
    jean_genie
    Maybe it's a 10/10 because he doesn't play rhythm with that guitar? I've got an EMG in one of my guitars that isn't nearly defined enough to my ears ... but I usually play Soundgarden and stuff with that guitar, so the flaws don't really matter to me. Still a poor review though.
    kimhags
    i agree with you guys. why did he rate it a 10 if it lacks in the rhythm department. i saw a demo on youtube and it does sound amazing with the right amp and settings. one more thing,i heard the dimarzio evo was created for steve vai.