Evolution Bridge DP159 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Evolution Bridge DP159

Purchased from: Ebay

I have installed this pup in my Ibanez AX120 (a rather Gibson SG like guitar) it added a lot more output than the stock AH2 which is more akin to a classic humbucker. While the DP159 wont give you the output of an active pup or other high output pups, it is ballsy enough to call it a high output pickup though on the low side of the spectrum. My signal chain goes guitar > UP100 Phase Shifter > Boss Metal Zone > DOD 7band EQ > Zoom 1010 > solid state Acoustic bass head and cab (yes it is a weird setup but sounds amazing) The pickup cuts through even the heaviest of electronic processing. The tonality of the pup makes it cut through anything. Live or in the studio the bright upper mid boost will make sure you are on top of any mix. Some people think the tight bass response of the Evolution limits its value for heavy chugging rhythms but I have had no issues with that. I like the tight bass sound. This amazing pickup can produce the most lyrical overtones and feedback I have ever played, it has made my guitar so responsive to my playing that I have to really be on top of my game when soloing as it will amplify sloppy technique just as much as it will amplify good technique. I would say this is one of the best and most unique sounding pups I have ever used. One important note, if you are looking for a PAF tone do not get this guy it will disappointing you.. Go for a PAF Pro or the like if you want the classic humbucker sound.

This pickup is now my favorite in the bridge position. I will be installing these on all future guitars. It fits my sound and playing style to a T.

I am pretty sure it will last... I mean come on have you seen the S&M routine Steve Via puts his Jems through.