Fast Track 2 Strat Humbucker DP182 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Fast Track 2 Strat Humbucker DP182

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Let me just say first, this baby has some balls to the sound. I Play mostly Metallica and Grunge stuff, and this thing basically duplicates the sound of James Hetfield's guitar when plugged in through my Roland 60 Cube. I use my amp distortion (on the Rectifier setting) and amp chorus, and it works well with them. The only thing I dislike is that it loses a lot of sustain for some reason when played through my Dunlop Original Crybaby, but I think it's the wah. It definately does its job as a humbucker, deleting any hum sound coming from the amp, as compared to my (stock) middle and neck singlecoil pups.

I absoloutly love this pickup. It has an amazing sound to it, and its just great. The only thing I dislike is the fact that it loses a lot of sustain when the wah is turned on (which once again I think its the wah). I installed the pup into the bridge of my Squier Strat, and it is pure awesomeness. It was made "for the bridge only" according to Musician's Friend, however, I may put one into the neck later.

I think the pickup will definately last, and it is very dependable. I think it will be a great pickup, and I will certainly use it in future strats that I may own, for it takes that strat sound away and just gives you the sound of a metal guitar, that being said, I'd reccomend it to anyone with a strat looking for that metal sound.

Viper_93
    I think your sustain issues might have origions in either your bridge/wiring. I'm not knocking squier man, cos i am modding one at the moment, just saying yanno ?? Check out the wiring section of the forums, as i don't know a whole lot about it if i am honest, but i think the wiring/bridge could be an issue
    ElementSkater1
    Thanks man, i was lookin to buy one of these to drop into my 1983 Squier Bullet, your review really helped me find that tone.
    AJ6stringsting
    If you install this monster you should use a 500k ohms pot to keep some treble. I got these in 7 of my Metal guitars in the mid position to give me a meaner rhythm tone ( more bass). They work well with Dimarzio X2N's, Evolutions, Bill Lawrence XL500's (older 80's pickup) and Seymor Duncan Dimebuckers.
    AJ6stringsting
    I forgot to add, that I got some Fast Track 2's from the mid 1990's, the magnets soften and the tone is brutal but more defined as it ages. More upper mids are coming thru .... must be the age and my sweat changing thing