Fast Track 2 Strat Humbucker DP182 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Fast Track 2 Strat Humbucker DP182

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I have this in all the mid position of my S,S,H and H,S,H configured heavy metal (7) guitars. This passive pickup has no hum ohm's rating of 18.03k ohms and delivers the punch of a full size humbucker. The Fast Track 2 has a ton of bass, huge mids and some treble in the mid position. I bet it would sound great in a bridge position of a S,S,S configured guitar that the lacks caboom of a humbucker.

I have this pick up in the middle of seven guitars, teamed up with DiMarzio Evolutions, 1983 Bill Lawrence XL-500, DiMarzio X2N and a Bare Knuckle War Pigs in the bridge position. When put in the #4 position (on a 5 way switch), I can still get a huge Metal rhythm tone with out it sounding weak. I wish it had more treble, which is why I like the GFS Little Killer (15k ohms version)in some of the other guitars

I used stainless steel picks, some times have to pick very fast and now my first DiMarzio F.S. 2 (bought in 1997) needs a new pickup cover... I'd say it's a very tough pickup. This pickup is made for live playing and is great sounding when recording. This pickup is all about "metal overkill" and this pick takes no prisoners or has mercy. If you want a thunderous-booming Metal guitar sound, just put in a 250k ohms pot with a 22mf capacitor to achieve a massive rhythm sound... but you may lose some treble. This is a go to pick up for getting a metal sound.

This stacked humbucker is like a DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup with a little less treble, if you need more treble just add a 500k pot. I have seven of these pickups, the first I bought in 1997 and the last one in 2006. The one from 1997 has aged well and has a little more treble than the newer ones, in fact the one from 1997 has a 17.68k ohms rating on my meter. This pickup will fatten up a S,S,S guitar that needs a humbucker power boost. But if you put this in the mid position of a H,S,H or a S,S,H guitar for a heavy metal guitar, this thing will be a sledge hammer on the #4 position of a 5 way switch when a powerful humbucker is in the bridge.

malditochico
    Hey guys, what's your opinion about to install a Dimarzio Fast Track 2 in the bride with Vintage Rails from Seymour Duncan in the middle and Cool Rail in the Neck position? I've a mexican made stratocaster and I play mostly indie rock. I try to imitate the Billy corgan's strat signature. But my main fear about this configuration is that my sound turns to be heavy and down into darkness. Someone can help about this? Thanks.
    AJ6stringsting
    The pickup is rated between 17.68k ohms and 18k. Ohms, it's meant to pull a guitar into over drive like a full size humbucker.