FRED DP153 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: FRED DP153

Price paid: € 75.63

Purchased from: Kauffmann's Guitar Store

The first thing I've noticed about these pickups is the amount of mids. It was allegedly designed to bump up the mids on the PAF Pro, and it shows. The amount of clarity is definitely a step up from what I was used to, though this may be a bad thing if you're a sloppy player. Every mistake is immediately obvious. As for versatility, I play everything from jazz to thrash, and it handles both extremes and everything in between them with gusto.

I love this pickup because of its versatility. You can get an amazing metal tone with the right settings, and then it mellows right down and plays smooth jazz if you lower the gain. I put mine in the bridge position in an Ibanez S670, with a modified Peavey Valveking for an amp. If I ever bought a new guitar (because quite frankly this seems like it will outlast anything you put it in), I would install this again.

This pickup seems like it will last an eternity. Repeated striking with a pick did nothing to harm the finish on the pickup. The pickups I'd used previously quickly showed scratches and bumps on the plastic, but these have stood the test of me abusing the crap out of my guitar and playing with the heaviest attack I've ever played with.