Super 2 DP104 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Super 2 DP104

Purchased from: Friend

I have a pair of old Dimarzio Super 2s. They were made in the early 80s and to my astonishment still work. I don't know what the exact output level is in terms of measurement but, they sound beautiful. They're very clear cut in tone and well balanced all the way around. The bass, mid, and treble are all on spot. One doesn't over power the other. I have them in both positions and would recommend them for both. If you want to know what the actual sound of your guitar is on a clean channel, this pickup is for you.

I have these installed in my Jackson SL2H Soloist and the guitar sounds 1000x better. It had J50 Jackson stock pickups in it since it was made in 1985. I can finally to harmonics without fighting for them. Hands down my favorite pickup and I've tried Duncans and EMGs, they weren't for me.

It was made in the early '80s so I think it'll last until it mysteriously get corroded. Not much else to say except that american made products are way better than Jap in terms of quality.

MitchP
    I have this with the Super Distortion in the bridge on my Japenese Les Paul from the 80's and with the right eq i get the perfect Ace Frehley tone
    PerpetualBurn
    I think this review is somewhat incorrect. They are very treble heavy and in almost any guitar they will have a very present treble frequency. Think Nuno Bettencourt...These sound like a chunkier Bill Lawrence...
    68_SG
    I have the same pickup in one of my 2 Jackson Kellys, it's a great high output pickup, solos sound beautifull with this pickup on.
    Izzy-Sparks
    I like these better than any other humbuckers ever made and i finally mde some of my own humbuckers...hehehe...i saw somw red and black ones of those
    the_addict
    might i add that these are definitely professional grade pickups. treble heavy is not bad. The newer jackson soloists are very bass heavy due to the grade of the wood so adding these pickups in there wouldnt be a bad idea for all you jackson owners out there. Theyd definitely level the guitars sound.
    up4anything
    I have it in bridge position on my Dean ML Noir XT, it's really good, not muddy, by the setting pole heights it's really nice.
    higherworlds
    icefoxlc1995
    i have a "?".... i have an Epiphone SG (it has 1 tone and 1 vcolume control) would this work for the epiphone? cuz im kindof a squealie freak XP
    Quinlan
    I've found you can dial out any harsh frequencies these pick up by adjusting the pole pieces based on the pickup's position and understanding how pickup height changes tone. I love these.
    higherworlds wrote: i used them as highs, but then set up my amp Eq to mids, and my Ex pedal as scooped mids, awesome ****ing tone, kinda like that Queens of the stone age early tone. SICK!
    These are actually the pickups that came stock in the old Ovation GP's that Homme used for Kyuss and early QOTSA.