Super 3 DP152 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Super 3 DP152

Price paid: C$ 135

Purchased from: Gilbert Guitars

This is a bridge pickup with a 25 ohm output. It's very low end driven, but meant to have a pretty tight bass response. It was, as DiMarzio put it, designed for those who like to scoop their mids but wanna keep the mid range boom. It does exactly that. It thickens everything up pretty well, and does stay pretty tight when down tuned. It's meant for mainly metal and hard rock, which is what I play.

Over all, great pickup. I've installed it in my Jackson Dinky. I've read that it sounds TOO fat inside Les Paul bodies, but I haven't tried that. It's balanced nicely, and worth a try ESPECIALLY for those who down tune. I was much more impressed with this pickup than I was with the Super Distortion, which was the base for the Super 2, then this pickup.

Luckily this model has a metal base. Some of Dimarzios models have a plastic base plate that get their screw holes stripped pretty easily. It's nice and sturdy. I'm sure I could rip it out of my guitar, throw it against a wall and scream in a metal rage, and it would be fine.

etaeniura
    I have this in my HM strat, and honestly, the clean tone makes me want to gouge out my eyes. The distorted tone is AWESOME! It will rip your face off, but being that it is in the neighborhood of 25K, the clean tone is just a little to harsh. I used to own a vintage GIbson tube amp with a 15" speaker, and the cleans were tolerable through that, but through your everyday solid state combo, it doesn'r fair so well. I have never tried it with the coils split, so it may be better in that arena.