Super Distortion T DP318 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Super Distortion T DP318

Price paid: € 75

Purchased from: Sweelee

Output level is very high, very hot. Something like a PAF when ur tone is zero. Something like synyster's pickup when in high gain. It don't sound weird in clean. It still makes you feel that you forget to off distortion when you are playing clean. I'm using it with Laney LX35R with no effects. It can be muddy when there is no tone. Overall it is still quite balanced. I used it in my bridge. I had also coil splitted it. I can play led zeppelin's ten years gone with this pickup splitted. It give you a feeling of a little bit Fuzz when ur tone is all the way up and coil splitted. It stil feels like a Fender stock pickup but it is just that, when this pickup is splitted, it equals to Fender stock pickups on steroids.

I love the versatility. I don't like playing clean with humbuckers nor playing distortion with singlecoils. This had solve my problem. This pickup is also the pickup which made DiMarzio famous so it must have something very special about it. Before burstbuckers, Jimmy page had used this pickup. What I don't like about this is that it sound muddy in clean and you need to turn ur tone up all the way. I install this in my Fender standard tele MIA 2007. I wanted to change to a humbucking pickup but a lot of people kept on persuading me not to change the stock pickup as it is good enough. But it was not what I wanted. After I change this pickup, it become better and I love my tele even more. To people out there Who are not certain aboout changing stock pickups, think about Slash. He endorses Gibson pickups and their burstbucker are good. But he chose Alnico II pro from SD. If everyone artist uses the same stock pickup, will there be more signature sound? I used it in the bridge... Even if it has one for neck, I won't change, because it sounded too good in clean and drive.

It is made of plastic I suppose. There are a few scratches... But it is in the bridge position, so it is quite difficult for your pick to have contact with it... I will depend on it. I play Led Zep, Fall Out Boy, just anything from blues to rock. No metal. I have not tried but my neck is a mahagony so it don't have that very metal thing. It is very versatile. I have got a "les paul" and a tele in one guitar. How versatile can it be?

Ovenman
    Who wrote that monstrosity?