The Breed Bridge DP166 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: The Breed Bridge DP166

With an output level of 356 it is a mid ranged power pickup. Sure it's not as powerful as the X2N, but it's better in my opinion. The sound of it is very bright in mids and if you were to look at it in an equalizer form it looks like an upside down Nike symbol. You can crank all of the treble you want into it unlike most pickups that become muddy once you turn the treble up too high. I use it with a Mesa Dual Rectifier (mid at 4 O'clock, Treble at 7 O'clock Presence and Gain all the way up, bass at 3 O'clock) with an Ibanez Tube Screamer for my distortion channel and an Acoustic simulator with a chorus for my clean. It's strictly a Bridge pickup due to the high output it would be too bassy as a neck pickup.

I love everything about the pickup. The high mids it impacts and the sound you get when you turn your tone knob all the way down. It's very good for Progressive Metal playing types, for example if you want to play stuff like Dream Theater and Symphony X. It can handle everything from Blues to the most modern types of metal. I dislike nothing about the pickup what so ever, it was designed perfectly to me and it is my favorite pickup out of all of the DiMarzio's I've tried. I have it inside of an Ash Ibanez 470 with an Edge Zero II bridge. I also have an Air Norton in the neck pickup and it balances great with it. The Breed is the best bridge pickup if you want the sound from The Blood and Tears by Steve Vai.

The pickup has been installed for the past 4 days. The pickup is very durable and it seems like it will last for years from now. I can depend on the pickup and I can see myself gigging without a backup guitar. The pickup is soldered in perfectly, the tone is nice and clean. It's egregious with my setup, but be warned you have to adjust it to get it to sound perfect. You can't leave it too close to the strings nor too far away. It's balanced to my liking and I would recommend it if you dislike the Tone Zone and want something spicier.