Tone Zone 7 DP755 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Tone Zone 7 DP755

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Output is fairly high (385). I'm using this in the Bridge position of my Ibanez RG7420, and it really opened up the sound of the guitar. The tone is a good load of mid and bass range, with the treble significantly lower. However, the bridge position by nature is a very inclined to treble, so I feel it's a good mix to sound full and chunky but not as abrasive as some high gain pickups because of the balanced treble frequencies and boosted low and mids. Overall, it makes my basswood bodied guitar sound like a less murky mahogany bodied guitar. Full and open would be my 2 words of choice. I wouldn't try this in the neck position, as it'd be way too boomy. I use it with a Bugera 333XL, Crate BV412S cab, compressor/limiter, sonic maximizer, ts9, 15 band eq, and a couple other odd effects here and there from my DigiTech RP250 multi-fx unit. It suits pretty much anything I play well (variations of metal, hardcore [the real deal, not Parkway Drive], post-hardcore, post-rock, jazz & blues, and the occasional guilty pleasure pop song) and the split coil sound is almost acoustic-like for both inner and outer coils. I couldn't be any happier with this pickup, but at risk of sounding like an amateur, I'll give it a 9 because tone is really a subjective quality, and it's really your personal preference. This pickup cleans up quite well, and doesn't get muddy in my setup. The rest is a matter of preference. However, if you don't eq your rig properly, any pickup could sound like a 0. It's that simple.

I love that it gives my guitar chunk and fullness in the bridge without a whole bunch of chainsaw emulating treble range. It's in a Japanese RG7420, with a maple/bubinga neck and American basswood body. It makes my quality guitar sound even better. I couldn't be happier. I trust pretty much every Dimarzio. None that I have ever tried have sounded bad through a properly eq'd amplifier.

I have no doubt that DiMarzio has manufactured a solid and dependable product. I've never had a bad experience with Dimarzio, and doubt I ever will. Came with full instructions for installation, and with a little help from the Seymour Duncan website's archive of wiring diagrams, I had it installed in a couple hours late at night. Which is pretty good for one's first pickup installation and given the fact that I began at 3AM. I foresee no problems with it, other than my shoddy soldering coming back to bite me.

dirtfoot
    All my 6 string electrics have TZ installed in the bridge because couldn't really use any other. Although the TZ7 sounds very different than the 6 string version imo, it responds just like a TZ6 -thick ass divebombs, bubbly/creamy sounding at the high frets/versatility without having to switch over for many instances. This is truly a dual rhythm/solo pickup..
    dirtfoot
    btw my guitars equipped with TZ are mahogany and basswood with double locking trems.
    leenux5030
    I am using TZ6 on my Jackson with adler body, Sounds very good chunky, Lamb of God sort of tone, but however the treble side is slightly less than optimum.
    misanthrope240
    i would like to know if there pick ups can be put on a left hand model (in this case my rg 370dxzl). Im not sure weather a left hand model can be equippt with regular pick ups or not (i.e does it effect the sound or something like that)
    zach.baranek
    Just found out the 7 string version TZ has a ceramic pickup! Hot damnitty doo, son! I had a 6'er version in a Schecter C-1 Elite w/coil-tap, and I have to say that even in D standard AND DROP C, that pickup sounded ****ing so good, huge, original, and tapped it is like nothing else (that is when it comes to tapped humbuckers). I played it through a dual recto and a Mark III era cab. I SOO miss that set up. with a Boss compression pedal, an EHX Small Clone, and a wah, I could achieve everything from Tool (especially w/coil tapped, the comp and the EHX on) to SOAD to my own set of sounds that turned heads every time I played it. And it wasn't my playing! It was that magic tone. Ceramic w/the 7 string.. wow. Now I need a 7 string (Jackson SLAT.. naturally!) just for this pickup. peace out!
    xhairs1970
    I had this put in the bridge of my Dean LTD and it really made this guitar come alive. The bass and mid range boost it gave this guitar is exactly what I was after. I also appreciate the fact that it toned down some of the higher treble sounds as when hitting an open B & E together and letting it ring out without it robbing any of the crunchier tones being played at the same time. I am looking into a push/pull set up in order to take full advantage of the single pickup tone that will add another dimension to my playing some of the lighter and acoustic stuff.