Tone Zone DP155 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: Tone Zone DP155

Price paid: € 50

Purchased from: Second hand

I'm using this pickup on Ibanez RG1570 via Mustang amplifier with tube preamp in front of the amp. I won't be very original with my style of music. It's prog rock/metal, melodic metal, Satriani kind of stuff. And it seems that this pickup is perfect fit. DiMarzio description of this pickup is highly accurate - this pickup really does take out the "mosquito" sound out of the equation. It is greatly balanced as well. Warm yet very accurate. Not muddy and tight. Harmonics are highly pleasing. All that said - It's not versatile - But I do not consider this to be a downside. Universal things tend to be undefined which cannot be said about this pickup. But it's a reason i give it a 9 not 10.

It's a pickup. What can go wrong? It's well made like every major brand pickup. Tightly fitted, nicely done. It looks almost like new despite it's age. There's not much to talk about really. It withstood shipping twice, it comes in a nice box, cable is durable, it's not rusting. There's nothing wrong with it. Material it is made out of seems durable. I've never had any problems whatsoever with ANY pickup - either high quality or stock. So I am quite sure it will work for a loooong time. (And it has done that already.)

This pickup suits progish style perfectly. It sounds very clean when overdriven which is exactly what I've been looking for. It's kind of weird considering it's resistance (~17Kohm)and quite high output. I've been playing for about 5 years. Not long - I agree. But I've had some experience with different pickups and I have to say that I would buy Tone Zone again if anything happened to it. I have based my choice on reviews and comparison tests. I can't find any downside of DiMarzio Tone Zone other than lack of versatility mentioned before. I give it overall 10 because I like things that are meant to do one kind of thing perfectly instead of doing lots of things "good enough."

B5Erik
    I just got an Iceman 520 with a Tone Zone in the bridge position and I love the sound. Big, bold, CRUNCHY - it's a great hard rock pickup. Now, when comparing it to my ESP/LTD EC1000 with a JB in the bridge this one sounds just a tad muddier, but also bigger and bolder. I just turn up the treble one notch on the amp and I'm good to go. I love both pickups, and they are actually really complementary when you double track your rhythm parts. They sound great together. If you want a big, fat, but still crunchy tone this is a great pickup.