X2N DP102 review by DiMarzio

DiMarzio: X2N DP102

Price paid: C$ 120

Purchased from: Cosmo Music

(Best way to hear the sound -- my Profile -- song: "Pandemonium - Amaeven" -- this was recorded using the DiMarzio DP102 X2N. I have owned it now for 3 weeks and have played at least 40+ hours on it + recorded for my band with it.) ---- I went into Cosmo to buy new strings but saw this pickup. I had read about it online and it was an impulse buy. The sound it creates is absolutely blistering. I play and write progressive metal for my band so I need a pickup that is both clean and loud during high gain solos and has the ability to make clean Acoustic sounds. I was skeptical at first that a pickup with a high gain such as this one would give me unreal soloing sound but make my cleans all distorted. I have been proven wrong. This pickup has been a dream to own and record with. The output is extremely high. I use it with Guitar Rig 4 when I record or my Line 6 Spider when I am just having some fun. The tone is very balanced. I thought it would be all treble but it is not. It picks up all ranges. This pickup is suitable in my opinion for nearly every genre. It seems to do it all just right.

I love the way this thing looks. Google it for pictures. It really suits my black Les Paul. I placed this pickup in my bridge position so it would get really clean highs. It also comes with 4 wires so it can be wired in differently. I do not know enough about guitars to really give input on this, but the instructions it came with to do something like that were clear and concise. I have it wired up as a standard humbucker.

It was well built. It seems like it will outlive me. I installed it myself so if I stops working one day it will most likely be because my soldering has come undone. I took special care while installing it. (First time doing this kinda job, really enjoyed it.)

tfpoec2
    BigHeadClan
    tfpoec2 wrote: people always say that this thing has an insane amount of gain but what kind of gain are they talking about?? distortion or just volume?
    My buddy has these their is plenty of both even on a clean channel on my buddy's amp you still get a bit of distortion. He has tone zones his neck and X2N bridge the volume between them don't even compare.
    jlazor1
    Just put the x2n in my guitar, and I'm very pleased. Great for rock and metal. I will say it does an okay job when you run it clean, but sounds a little muddy. I recommend using a good neck pickup for the clean channel. Still worth buying, but a little hard to find in retail stores.
    breadfan82
    I find this to be a great bridge pickup for lower tuning, like Drop C. The clarity and extra bite help keep the lower notes clearer and crisp sounding.
    Jacksonftw
    Ive buyed one recently to a bolton alder body jackson, is this pup supossed to be a bit bassy????