H-90 review by Dragonfire

Dragonfire: H-90

The Dragonfire H-90 pickups are humbucker-sized P-90s. I installed them in a Hamer Echotone. The stock humbuckers in the Echotone were quite good, but sounded too much like my Gibson ES-335... Certainly not a bad thing, but I wanted something different. For $29.95 for the set I figured I'd give them a shot. They are quite bright compared to he stock HBs, probably because I kept the stock 500k pots. Volume output seems about average. The pickups measure 8.3 neck and 8.7 bridge. Nice smooth output crisp, yet warm tones. Pretty much sounds like you would expect a good P-90 to sound. Great bell-like cleans, and nice and gritty when you crank up the gain. Nice tight bass. Further evidence to support my theory that the basic P-90 design is so robust that it's hard to make a bad one. The thing I'm most impressed is how quiet they are. Way quieter than my other P-90 guitars, and even my Strats and Teles. If I was rating based on bang for the buck, they'd get a 10, but even compared to high end P-90s they get 8.

Great tone... Just what I was looking for. Cheap, quiet, what is there not to like? I installed them in both positions. I would highly recommend them to anyone wanting a P-90 for their humbucker guitar. I actually find myself playing the Echotone more than my 355.

They look well made. I would anticipate they will last a lifetime in this guitar. They were easy to install (I cut the original pickup wires so I wouldn't have to fish out the pots and wiring). Everything fit, and they look great. The chrome covers just go around the edge, so you see the black center of the pickup.

JoePerry4life
    The are made in china. That being said, I'm quite the fan. I have the screamers, vintage buckers, and also the h-90s. All great pickups.
    fredgold52
    I have a set of these in a Squier Strat with a warm single coil in the middle position. I really like this arrangement. Positions 1 and 5 sound sort of SGish. Very nice. Pos. 2 and 4 are very warm and soft, not in volume but in sound quality. Position 3 is a completely different guitar. Excellent tonal variety.
    raymond.r.cyr
    I just installed a set of H-90's in my JF-1 Peavey (ES-335 type) and the sound is fantastic! The humbuckers it had B4 were PAF types that were nice but now this guitar has TONE! Not bad for a set of pickups costing 34.95!!!! I am sold on TNT Guitars and their pickups are great! Dragonfire rules!
    joseph.mohr.77
    I just wired up a set of H-90's in a custom built chambered LP style body and the tone and sound blew me away! Damn fine pickups for the money! I will be buying more pups from these guys!