Phat Screamers review by Dragonfire

Dragonfire: Phat Screamers

Price paid: A$ 43.99

Purchased from: www.dragonfireguitars.com

Output: 17.5k on the bridge and 8.8k on the neck [give or take a few k]. I got the Zebra versions and installed them into a Tokai EX-50. The reason for this was because the Tokai stock P/U's were not giving me enough grunt when I wanted it. Sound: Amp #1 [Laney HCM120H Solid State Head & Matching 2x12 Cab]: At first play [Bridge Clean] they sound crisp and clear. [Neck Clean] The neck is where it's at, clear and warm and a bit thump for defining those bottom end notes. [Bridge Distortion] Loads of bottom end, Mids seem balanced with the tone and they have got a fair amount of punch. [Neck Distortion] Again loads of bottom end and with the gain up to 10 they almost sound fuzzy which is interesting for lead. Amp #2 [Blackstar Series One Head & 2x 4x12 Cabs]: [Bridge Clean] The bridge now sounds a little hollow but after messing with the E.Q. I was able to fill them out. [Neck Clean] Again thick bottom end but the mids a highs seem well balanced. Having a lot of fun playing blues stuff in the neck setting. [Bridge Distortion] Loads of bottom end but really responsive to individual notes. I am finding that note bends are a lot more defined because of the larger pole pieces. Really good sound for fast solos as I can hear each note loud and clear. [Neck Distortion] Loads of bottom end with a well balanced mid/treble. Again with gain turned up to 10 it gets fuzzy which I am just having so much fun with. Switching between P/Us is cool as there is no big sudden drop in sound. I would have to say these are well matched. If I back the volume off on the guitar the P/Us clean up nice and I am finding that I am getting a whole new sound from these that I was not getting from any of my other guitars which is what I was looking for.

Pickup's are subjective to the individuals ears and in some cases mob mentality of what other so called gearheads think in forums. I think these are a little darker than I would like but overall a decent sounding pickup that has the fun factor. The output on the bridge is insane but controllable. Overall bang for your buck in buckets full. Even though I am unable to get the 'Metal' tone I was looking for, I found a really cool rock tone instead. Out of 4 of my friends 3 like them and one just kept moaning about another brand being better so each to there own. Unfortunately if some of you have been driving the Duncan's or any of the other "Boutique" brands you probably won't give these a look in... Bit of a shame really.

I have not had a DragonFire pickup fail as of yet and they seem sturdy enough and this is not my first purchase from this company! Due to the nature of my playing style my stuff gets punished so I have to say that so far I have been able to depend on them do what there meant to.

MarkoakaNiggaK
    I realy think that i should try them out but i don't know where to get them here in croatia. Still haven't found a sngle dealer that sells them.
    AJ6stringsting
    I was going to order the Fat Screamers but I opted for the Gold covered Vintage Screamers for my Les Paul Custom. Next time :/ Marko, you can get these on the web at www.guitarpartsonline.com
    Gibsonkid401
    From the looks of it, this chat's been dead for over 2 years. However, i have a question I hope you guys can answer. These boast a higher output then their normal Screamers, but is there any difference in sound in comparison? Really want to know before I get a pair to drop in a project of mine. -----