Power Rails review by Dragonfire

Dragonfire: Power Rails

Purchased from: Ebay

I bought this pickup set to replace the stock PUs on an ESP M-100 (not the M-100 FM which are better than the ones I had). I'll admit they really do sound close to a DiMarzio X2N set. Maybe a little less highs and a tad more bass. For rhythm the bridge pickup has pretty of bite, I feel it is ideal the almost any kind of metal style, but does take a bit of tweaking to get the right tone and sound. The cleans are ok, but not over the top. If the turn down your volume knob you can get a decent clean, but I really don't like messing with my volume or tone knobs at all(just me lol). For a lead tone the bridge is doable, but not the best. With a good bit of tweaking you can get a decent tone, but I'd advise an EQ if you want a perfect tone from the bridge. Now the neck PU on the other hand IMO is perfect. It has a lower output, a little bassier, very clean and is great for sweep arpeggios. The neck is perfect for my needs.

Overall for the money spend I can't say they were a waste at all. I was disappointed with the bridge PU because I couldn't get the best lead tone, but the neck pickup more than made up for that. I think the best use for these PUs are for an inexpensive guitar needing something with more punch and for an intermediate to advanced player these PUs would be great for a rhythm guitar. For $30 for a set their worth a try for rhythm, but for lead the bridge PU didn't cut it with me. Definitely a good product and a great value Ebay has some of the best pickups for the money, can't go wrong saving money.

I had this set for a while and they have held up great. Very sturdy build, nice thick wires and very heavy magnets. I had practiced with them and they do hold up. The bridge loses a little definition at higher volumes, but still hold enough to get the job done. The neck PU to me is perfect at any volume and gave me the perfect neck tone I was looking for. I definitely say you could rely on these to hold up and gig with if they are the sound you want. For $30 if they did go bad at least you didn't waste a lot of money.

AJ6stringsting
    I own the Dimarzio X2N and these Dragon Fire Power Rails. As some one stated earlier, the Dragon fire has, IMO, more better bass and upper mid definition than the Dimarzio.
    GeorgioP
    I am skeptical anytime I read a review on pickups that mentions changing your amp gain or using a tube amp, or boosting the presence to get a better sound from the pickups. I have the screamers installed in Schecter basswood body and they sound kind of thin, like mostly Country sounding\ clean treble.
    AJ6stringsting
    I've gotten some individual neck and pickups from Ken at Dragon Fire before. I'm thinking of ordering just one neck Power Rail ( rated at 10k ohms, I want more power in the neck.
    cob666hc
    I really want a set of X2N's but I might check these out first
    guitarplayer369
    For I think $35 US currently they still are a great value and have a great metal rhythm sound, but if you get them don't expect them to sound dead on an X2N. You may want to do a lot of adjustment with you amp EQ and distortion settings first before instantly saying if you like them or not.
    Mike D.
    I put a set in my B.C.Rich Bich Masterpiece. Total investment, under $300.00! It is great for hard rock/metal! I own several higher end guitars but I wouldn't hesitate to use this on stage. It can rock!
    Tree857
    The whole reason to use X2Ns is the open uncolored sound they have. Yes they're loud and push your front end, but they don't color the sound with extra bass or mid. I've got plenty of Super Distortions laying around if I need that.