HB-108B Detonator Review

manufacturer: Duncan Designed date: 03/27/2013 category: Pickups

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Duncan Designed: HB-108B Detonator
This pickup was made for a heavier rock type setting because of the natural distortion it gives off.
 8.4
 7.7
 5,441
review (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
HB-108B Detonator Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 27, 2013

Purchased from: Amazon

Sound: Okay, so I own the real Duncan Invaders that these things are based off of... Let's just say there's a reason they call it the "Detonator". Actually, let's break it down De- = no more, less of; Tone = The clarity of your notes; -ator = a prefix I made up to make a badly compounded word become a title of sorts... Well ok not really, I'm not sure why it's nicknamed "Detonator." So I bought the real Invaders and loved the clarity and the tone in both the neck and the bridge. I had another guitar to upgrade the stock pickups and I decided to get this pickup for the bridge and combine it with another Duncan Designed pickup I got for free, the HB-103. This pickup, despite having the same black oxide caps as the Invaders, do not share a similarity in tonal clarity and screaming, clear mids as the big brother. This thing muddies itself really easily, sounds kind of flat, and tinny at lower volumes. The good news: this pickup was made for a heavier rock type setting because of the natural distortion it gives off. I have it set in a guitar with a LP type set of electronics so I can manage to balance out this pickup and the neck pickup for a cleaner sound if need be. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I'm not 100% sure on the quality of this pickup just due to the fact that I ordered it seemingly new and it's Korean made (I think?). It survived being in a box full of more pickups I switched out for nearly a year and was too lazy to install it into my, then junk project, now practice guitar. Really though, I don't know how I feel about touching black oxide caps in an effort to see what I can do with this thing's sound. Consider the 8 I am giving in this field an ambiguous "sure I guess this thing can stand a few gigs and a bunch of installations?" // 8

Overall Impression: Well at least I get a different sound from this pickup, giving me ideas of how to dial in certain effects for a real set up I have. The sad thing is, this pickup is worth just as much as the guitar I have this set up in. A wonderful, magical, Lyon (by Washburn) LI15 barely-better-than-Costco-brand guitar. I'm considering putting a mod-board in this guitar just to make it a bit more of a novelty and making it a guitar I would be happy to lug around, say a convention, with a small amp run by a battery in a backpack playing covers to songs from games, anime, cartoons, movies and more and not worry about losing too much money over this thing. Still, I think my money would have been better spent on a GFS or Guitar Head brand pickup. // 8

More Duncan Designed reviews rating category latest review